Traditional Vegetable Soup Recipe With Versatile Food
Traditional Soup Recipe Ingredients:
1 leek (only white parts), sliced thinly
7 ounce tomatoes, un-drained, stewed
½ medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 ½ medium carrot, sliced thinly
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
2 stalk celery, sliced
½ cup green beans
¼ cup parsley
2 teaspoon bouillon, vegetable
½ medium apple, cored and chopped coarsely
1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly extracted
¾ teaspoon garlic, minced
½ teaspoon olive oil
4 cups water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium size Dutch oven. Cook garlic along with leeks in the hot oil for about 2 to 3minutes or until the leeks are tender, yet firm.
- Add water in this mixture (add water carefully as the oil in the oven is very hot and the steam can burn your skin). Stir in un-drained tomatoes, sweet potato, carrots, celery, bouillon cubes or granules and apples.
- Bring the contents to a boil over medium heat. After a boil reduce the heat and cover the container. Simmer the vegetables on low heat, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the container and add red shredded cabbage and green beans. Season with salt and freshly grounded black pepper as per taste.
- Return the contents to a boil; reduce heat after a boil and cover the container. Simmer on low flame for about 10 minutes or till the vegetables are tender.
- As the vegetables are done add freshly extracted lemon juice and parsley. Serve hot. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Little edition in versatile vegetable soup recipe can change the recipe to Tex-Mex chicken vegetable soup recipe. For this add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds along with garlic in the first step while you sauté leeks. Also add ½ cup cooked bite size boneless chicken, ½ cup loose pack frozen corn kernel, 1 ½ teaspoon fresh snipped cilantro, and 2 ounce can chopped green Chile peppers along with lemon juice and heat through. Before serving garnish the Tex-Mex chicken vegetable soup with fresh cilantro sprig and a lemon wedge.
- This is a low calorie, diabetes friendly, healthy recipe which provides about 138 calories, 8 gm proteins and 3 gm total fat per serving.
- Versatile vegetable soup provides about 790 mg sodium per serving. So if you are on sodium restricted diet then balance your sodium intake in other foods accordingly.