Garlic Shrimp Skewers Recipe For Supper
Shrimp Recipe Ingredients:
8 large shelled shrimps
½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 small clove garlic, minced
8 fresh pea pods
4 canned mandarin oranges, sections
½ teaspoon orange peel
1 ½ tablespoon orange juice
¾ cup water
½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
Soy sauce to taste, reduced sodium
½ teaspoon sesame oil, toasted
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- If you use frozen shrimps then thaw them completely before proceeding. Peel them in such a way that their tails remain intact, if desired you may even peel off the tails. Rinse under running water and devein the shrimps.
- Bring ¾ cup water to a boil in a medium size saucepan. Add shrimps to the boiling water and lower the heat. Cover the pan and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or till the shrimps are opaque. Drain any excess water and rinse shrimps with cold water. Drain them again and leave aside.
- Take a re-sealable plastic bag that can set in a shallow bowl. Place shrimps in the bag, add vinegar, orange juice, orange peel, cayenne pepper, ginger, garlic and salt. Seal the bag and turn it 2 to 3 times so as all the other ingredients coat shrimps. Place the bowl with the bag in the refrigerator to chill for up to 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare a steamer basket over boiling water, place pea pods in the basket and cover the steamer. Steam the pods for 2 to 3 minutes or till the pods are tender. Remove the pea pods from the steamer and rinse them with cold water. Drain any excess water properly.
- Remove shrimps from the refrigerator and drain them. Discard any remaining marinade and wrap each shrimp with a pea pod.
- Thread two wrapped shrimps and one mandarin orange section alternately on each four 6 inch skewers. Serve with low sodium soy sauce if desired.
- Ginger shrimp skewer is a low calorie, diabetes friendly recipe as it provides only 44 calories and 1 gm total fat per serving.
- The cholesterol and sodium values are also low that is 58 mg and 48 mg respectively thus this recipe can also be considered heart friendly and be enjoyed by people on sodium restricted diet and cholesterol restricted diet.
- Ginger shrimp skewers provide 7 gm protein per serving. The main source of protein is shrimps as well as pea pods.