Spinach Dip Recipe With Italian Spinach
Spinach Soup Ingredients:
½ pound beef, crosscut shanks
6 ounce ham hock, skin removed
4 ounce white kidney beans, dry, rinsed well
½ tablespoon beef bouillon, instant granules
2 cups spinach, washed and trimmed
1 ½ medium carrot, chopped
7 ounce tomatoes, un-drained and diced
1 ½ medium onion, chopped
½ cup fennel wedges
3 cups water, tap water
1 bay leaf
½ tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
1/8 teaspoon salt plus ¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the rinsed beans along with 3 cups of water in a medium size Dutch oven. Bring the contents to a boil over medium heat. After a boil reduce the heat and simmer the bean and water mixture uncovered on low heat for about 2 minutes. Remove the container from heat. Cover the lid and let the bean mixture stand for about an hour. You can also place the beans in water in the Dutch oven and keep it in a cool place covered for overnight or for 6 to 8 hours. Drain the beans in a colander and set aside.
- Sprinkle pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt evenly all over the beef. Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat and add beef as the oil gets warm. Sauté and cook beef for about 5 minutes or until it turns golden brown, turning once after 2 to 3 minutes to ensure even cooking. As the beef turns brown transfer it in a plate.
- To the same Dutch oven add carrots, onions, celery or fennel and garlic and cover the oven. Cook for about 10 minutes or till the vegetables are tender yet firm, stir occasionally.
- Return the browned beef to the Dutch oven as the vegetables get tender. Stir in drained beans, water, bay leaf, dried or fresh thyme, dried or fresh rosemary, bouillon granules and ham hocks. Bring the contents to a boil. Reduce heat after a boil and simmer the contents covered for about 60 to 70 minutes. Add un-drained tomatoes and return to boiling. Simmer for more 30 minutes or until the meat and beans are tender, yet firm.
- Remove beef and ham hocks and let them stand until they are cool enough to handle. Remove bones from the meat and discard them. Cut the meat into 1 inch bite size pieces and return them back to the soup. Skim off any fat layer formed on the top of the soup. If you are using fresh herbs (thyme and rosemary) then stir them at this stage along with spinach. Heat through for 5 to 6 minutes. Serve hot. This recipe makes 5 servings.
- This recipe provides about 169 calories, 13 gm protein and 3 gm total fat.
- Use extra lean cuts of meat in this recipe to make it further healthy.