Zucchini Cauliflower Recipe
No. of servings: 8
Servings size: 1 slice
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time required: 45 minutes
Zucchini Cauliflower Bake Ingredients:
Zucchini: 1 pound
Cauliflower florets: ½ cup
Bread crumbs: 1 cup
Plum tomatoes: 1 pound
Pesto sauce (prepared): ¼ cup
Low fat cheese: 8 slices
Black pepper powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Wash the zucchini and cut it into ¼ inch thick slices. These slices can be steamed in a microwave, for six to eight minutes, or over the stovetop, for about six minutes. Place the steamed slices on paper towels, to remove excess water.
- In a microwave, steam the cauliflower florets for about three or four minutes, or on the stovetop, for about three minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the zucchini and cauliflower and add the pesto sauce and pepper. Toss the ingredients together properly.
- Wash the plum tomatoes and cut them into thin slices.
- In an 8 inch wide baking dish, sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs, at the bottom. Evenly spread half of the zucchini and cauliflower mixture, over the bread crumbs.
- Arrange half of the sliced tomatoes over the vegetables.
- Top the vegetable with 4 slices of cheese.
- Again, spread layers of breadcrumbs, then zucchini and cauliflowers, tomatoes, cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Place the baking dish in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees F, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
- Cut the bake into slices and serve it with garlic bread, while it is still hot.
Zucchini - Cauliflower Nutritional information: (Amounts per serving)
Calories: 95 cal.
Cholesterol: 2 mg.
Total fat: 4.2 g
Sodium: 134 mg
Protein: 4 g
Dietary fiber: 1.5 g
Total Carbohydrates: 14.1 g
(Note: Different brands of breadcrumbs and pesto sauce may vary in the content of sodium)
Zucchini - Cauliflower Health Benefits:
- Zucchini is one of the healthiest foods you can find, because it is low in calories and can keep you full for a while.
- It is rich in Vitamins and minerals and has many health benefits.
- Cauliflower too, is very high in vitamins and therefore is excellent for the health.