Tomato Salad Recipe
No. of Servings: 4
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 00 minutes
- Fresh Tomatoes – 4-5 fairly large ripe tomatoes (quantity can be increased or reduced depending on the size of the tomatoes)
- Green bell pepper – 1
- Yellow or red onions – 3 to 4
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Red wine vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Wash each individual tomato thoroughly so as to wash away any remnants of harmful pesticides. Cut the tomatoes into ¼ inch thick slices. Set the sliced tomatoes aside in a bowl or the dish in which the salad will be served.
- Then prepare thin slices of the yellow or red onion and scatter them on top of the sliced tomatoes.
- The green bell pepper needs to be washed thoroughly, de-veined and deseeded. Then cut thin slices of the bell pepper as well and scatter it on top of the onions and tomatoes already in the bowl.
- Finally drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil on the tomato, onion and bell pepper mixture along with some salt as per one’s preferences.
- To add a little bit of spice to the salad, it may also be garnished with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and basil leaves along with some oregano.
- The tomato salad can be served chilled or even at room temperature
- This salad is most suitable to be consumed in the summer and is very quick and easy to make as well as most of the ingredients are easily available.
Health Benefits of Salad:
- Olive oil is known to be a very healthy option to regular cooking oil and is hence a preferred salad dressing. This is because olive oil has a very high content of antioxidants and monounsaturated fats which offer protection from heart diseases and keep cholesterol levels in check. Olive oil is also very easily digested and hence is ideal during the summer .Additionally Extra Virgin Olive oil contains even higher levels of antioxidants and vitamin E as it is derived after considerably lower amount of processing.
- Tomatoes too are extremely beneficial as they act as blood purifiers and also improve the overall color and texture of the skin. When choosing tomatoes for this salad ensure that bright red tomatoes are selected as they have the maximum amount of lycopene and beta-carotene which are very powerful antioxidants.