Chicken Curry Spicy Supper Recipe
No. of Servings: 5
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Oil – ¼ cup
- Finely diced garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts – 1 pound (ensure that the meat is cut into small pieces, this will enable it to cook better and faster)
- Thin Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Potatoes – 3 ,Medium sized, that have to be quartered and fried in advance
- Red and green bell peppers – 1 each
- Curry powder – 1 teaspoon ( curry powder is available in the section labeled “Ethnic Foods” in most supermarkets)
- Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup (reduce the amount of water added to the grated coconut)
- Green pepper leaves – 3-5 pieces (this is an optional ingredient and may be added to give the dish a strong and distinct aroma).
- Salt – as desired
- Wash the diced pieces of chicken breast and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium or small sized pan. Once the oil starts smoking add the onions and garlic and sauté them on a low flame.
- Now add the chicken and continue stirring the mixture well till the onions and garlic become light brown in color.
- Add the cup of thin coconut milk and make sure the chicken is well covered with it. Allow it to simmer till you find that the chicken is relatively tender.
- Now mix in the bell peppers, quartered potatoes, thick coconut milk and the curry powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well and let it simmer till the chicken is completely cooked, this usually takes 10-15 mins.
- Once the curry is relatively thick sprinkle in the green pepper leaves and cover the saucepan.
- Coconut milk is prepared by adding water to the freshly grated coconut and then straining this mixture to get clear milk like liquid. The thickness of coconut milk can be adjusted by controlling the amount of water added.
- Green and red bell peppers are rich in Vitamin C and also bring a vibrant color to the dish
- When purchasing the chicken try and avoid meat that has too much of fat, instead opt for lean meat.
- The coconut milk gives this spicy chicken curry a rich and thick consistency. At the same time, it is high in calories and hence those watching their weight or on special diets should take this into account.