Creative Pumpkin Recipes With Healthy Whole Wheat Waffles
No. Of Servings: Six
Preparation Time: Twenty minutes
Cooking time: Ten minutes
Pumpkin Pear Waffle Ingredients:
- 1 cup of whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon
- 1/2 a teaspoon of ground kernel of nutmeg
- 2 eggs beaten till frothy and fluffy, but avoid over beating
- 2 tablespoons of preferably brown sugar otherwise called jaggery
- 1/2 a cup of pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup of finely diced ripe pear
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Mix the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Beat the eggs and brown sugar separately. Slowly add the flour mixture and continue beating.
- Fold in the pumpkin puree and sliced pear.
- Pour the wet ingredients into a bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ones and stir until the batter is fairly smooth.
- Now start heating your waffle iron and once it is hot spray the grids at the top and bottom with cooking spray to prevent the waffles from sticking to the grids.
- Add 3/4 cup of the batter to the centre of the iron. This amount can vary depending upon the style and make of your iron and it is important to read the instructions on the box carefully.
- Close the iron and cook for about 4 minutes or till done. Once the waffles stop producing steam, it is a sign that they are already done.
- The batter will make about 3 waffles. Serve the waffles immediately or leave them in the oven to keep them hot.
- The waffle can be served with hot maple syrup and a good quantity of sprinkled nuts.
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Dietary Fibre: 3g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Fat: 2g
- The fiber in the whole wheat flour will provide a nutritional boost and better than refined flours which can prove detrimental to health.
- Pumpkin is an excellent source of vitamin A and pears are a source of water soluble fiber. Apart from Vitamin A, they also contain vitamin B1, B2, C, E, niacin and folic acid. It also contains potassium, calcium, copper, phosphorous, sodium, sulfur, iron and magnesium. Pears are immune boosters and keep down the blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- The nutmeg while mildly flavoring the waffles is also a popular remedy for stomach ailment and will keep indigestion away.