Different Ways Of Cooking Delicious Rice With Black Beans
No.of Servings: Six
Total Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Bean And Rice Salad Ingredients:
- 2 cups of long grained rice that has been cooked and chilled sufficiently
- 1 can of black beans approximating 15 ounces, rinsed well and drained of water
- 2 cup of finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup of whole kernel frozen corn that has been thawed
- 2 scallions or green onions finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro
- 1 cup of salsa
- 4 ounces Monterey Pepper Jack cheese
- jalapeno chilli peppers, cut into cubes of 1/4 inch size
- lettuce leaves
- 1/2 a cup of fat free or light sour cream
- Take a large bowl and stir the chilled rice, black beans, tomatoes, sweet pepper, green onions, corn and cilantro. Add the salsa or picante sauce if you prefer the taste. Toss well to coat and stir in the cheese if required.
- Line 6 salad bowls or plates with the lettuce leaves. Top with the rice mixture and serve with sour cream.
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Dietary Fibre: 5g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Total Fat: 1g
- Black beans contain a high amount of folate, antioxidants, fibre, protein and vitamin B. They also contain numerous other essential vitamins and minerals in trace amounts. When combined with brown rice or other whole grains, black beans provide a high quality protein meal that is completely fat-free.
- Salsa made at home would be the best option but it can also be store bought as most people do. Make sure that the preparation and storage are done correctly and carefully as improper storage can result in contamination by several kinds of bacteria, particularly E.Coli.
- Salsa is best had raw as they are served in Mexico and it contains tomatoes which are rich sources of lycopenes. Cooked tomatoes are the best sources of lycopenes which are good for the heart. When subjected to heat, the carotenoids present can be easily absorbed into the body.
- Those suffering from migraines are generally advised to avoid the cheese as it contains an organic compound called tyramine which is believed to be a trigger for migraine headaches.
- Nevertheless, Monterey Jack cheese, unlike other cheeses has a very low tyramine content and is sometimes even recommended for people suffering from migraines. Take particular care to exclude parmesan cheese from the recipe in the interests of your health.