Dilled Buttermilk Pea Soup Easy Cooking Recipes
Pea Soup Mix Ingredients
1 cup fresh green peas
1/8 cup onions, finely chopped
½ cup fresh spinach
¼ cup buttermilk, low fat
½ tablespoon dill
½ can chicken broth, reduced sodium (about 7 ounces)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dill sprigs with flower, optional
- Combine low sodium chicken broth along with spinach, green peas, savory or dried dill and onions in a medium sauce pan. Season the contents with salt and freshly ground black pepper as per taste. Heat the broth along with the vegetables over medium heat until the broth begins to boil. After a boil, reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer on low heat for another 14 to 15 minutes or until the peas are tender. Onions and spinach will cook quickly. If you use frozen peas then simmer the contents covered only for 5 to 6 minutes as frozen peas cook faster than fresh peas. Let the mixture cool at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Blend this cooled chicken broth and pea mixture in a blender until smooth. If you are using a smaller blender then you may need to blend it two times, half portion at a time.
- Return the smooth mixture in the saucepan again and add low fat buttermilk. Heat the pureed mixture along with butter milk over medium heat until it is heated through.
- Pour the soup in a serving bowl or soup bowl and serve hot. Garnish with fresh dill sprigs with flower if desired. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- Dilled buttermilk-pea soup is a low calorie easy recipe which can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
- This recipe can be considered low fat recipe along with low calorie as it provides only 1 gm fat per serving.
- Dilled buttermilk-pea soup provides about 80 calories, 14 gm carbohydrates and 6 gm proteins per serving. This recipe can also be considered diabetes friendly and heart friendly as it provides only 1 mg cholesterol per serving and negligible amounts of saturated fats.
- To make this recipe vegetarian you can use vegetable broth or vegetable stock instead of low sodium chicken broth.
- Dilled buttermilk-pea soup provides about 423 mg sodium per serving. So if you are on sodium restricted diet or low sodium diet and want to include this tempting soup recipe in your meal, then balance your other sodium rich foods in the diet accordingly.