Healthy Cherry Almond Snacks With Almond Nutrition
Snack Mix Ingredients:
¾ cup dried cherries
½ cup almonds, sliced
½ cup golden raisins
4 cups sugar flavored brown oat biscuit cereals or sweetened oat square cereals
½ teaspoon apple pie spice
2 tablespoon melted butter
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit.
- Combine 4 cups sugar flavored brown oat biscuit cereals or sweetened oat square cereals along with ½ cup almonds in a medium size rectangular baking dish.
- Stir together apple pie spice and a dash of salt along with melted butter in a small bowl. Pour this melted butter mixture over the cereal and almond mixture with the help of a spoon. Toss well to coat the butter over cereal mixture evenly.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or till the almonds get roasted. During the baking time, stir once to ensure even roasting of the almonds.
- Remove the pan from the oven when done and cool it on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in raisins and dried cherries and cool the mixture completely at room temperature. You may choose to serve the prepared snack mix immediately or even store it in a dry air-tight container at room temperature for 6 to 7 days. This recipe makes 5 servings.
- Cherry-almond snack mix is a low calorie snack mix which provides about 80 calories and 3 gm total fat per serving.
- This recipe can be considered diabetes friendly as well as heart friendly as it provides negligible amounts of cholesterol, saturated fats and sodium that are 3 mg, 1 gm and 58 mg respectively.
- You can enjoy cherry-almond snack mix with chilled low fat plain milk anytime of the day. But this is an ideal combination for breakfast as it involves more than 3 food groups at a time that are oat cereals, milk, dried fruits and fats.
- If you don’t enjoy too sweet flavor in your snack mix then replace ½ cup raisins with any other nuts of your choice (pecans, walnuts, cashew nuts or pistachio nuts). Adding nuts to the cherry-almond snack mix recipe will give a nutty taste to this mix instead of a sweet flavor. This change will however increase you fat content of the recipe. This is because nuts are a good source of fats, but the quality which you will gain will be definitely better.