Vegetable Stew Recipe And Chicken Caraway
Caraway Chicken Ingredients:
3 pounds chicken thighs, skinless
2 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup pearl onions, peeled
2 celery stalks, bias cut into ½ inch thick slice
8 ounce green beans, trimmed and chopped into 2 inch long pieces
2 cup mushrooms, sliced (you may use any – button mushrooms, oyster, crimini, shiitake or a mixture of two or all)
2 medium carrot, peeled and cut into ¾ inch chunks
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon salt
3 ¾ cup water, tap water
¼ cup water, cold water
- Combine skinless chicken with 3 ¾ cup of normal tap water, caraway seeds, bouillon granules, salt and pepper in a Dutch oven, approximately 4 quart in size. Cover the lid of oven and let the contents simmer on low to medium heat for 40 minutes.
- As the chicken gets almost cooked stir in the vegetables that are carrot cubes, celery stalk, mushrooms, green beans and pearl onions. Let the vegetables get boiled with the chicken, after a boil reduce the heat to low. Cover the oven again and let the vegetables simmer for about 10 minutes or until both the vegetables and the chicken are tender and well cooked. Stir occasionally.
- As the contents in the Dutch oven are cooked, remove the chicken from the stew and leave it aside in a bowl to get slightly cool. As the chicken gets cooled enough to handle, manually remove the bones from chicken and discard them. Cut the meat into bite size pieces and replace back in the Dutch oven.
- Combine all-purpose cooking flour with cold water in a small bowl to get a smooth paste. Add this flour mixture to the stew and cook the stew on medium heat for 5 minutes or till it gets thick and bubbly. Lower the flame and simmer for one more minute. Serve hot with your favorite accompaniment. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- Choose skinless and boneless chicken as far as possible. Boneless chicken if chosen will help you to reduce the cooking time. This is because the step 3 which involves removing bones in the recipe will get totally eliminated.
- This recipe provides about 225 calories and 5 gm fat per serving. Caraway chicken and vegetable stew provides about 783 mg sodium and 107 mg cholesterol. So if you are on a low sodium diet or cholesterol restricted diet you should balance your other foods consumed in the day accordingly.