Home Remedies for Treating Diabetes
Types of Diabetes: Diabetes can be of two types – Type 1 (insulin-dependent) and Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent). While Type 1 can develop in childhood or adolescence, Type 2 usually occurs among adults over 40, especially if they are obese.
The symptoms of diabetes are frequent urination, increased thirst and appetite, decreased healing capacity, skin infections and irritation, erection problems or weakness. While diabetes can be hereditary or genetic such as insulin deficiency, it can also be caused by high blood pressure and cholesterol, excess eating habits, lack of exercise, or a stressful life.
Diabetes can cause serious life-threatening complications such as hardening of the arteries or heart, eye, kidney and nerve problems. It is therefore necessary to treat diabetes as soon as possible.
You will need to change your lifestyle. This means sufficient exercise and balanced meals, which are high in fiber and low on fats.
Home Remedies for Diabetes: The following home remedies and natural treatment for Diabetes may prove helpful.
- Boil a handful of mango leaves in a glass of water. Filter it, leave overnight, and drink it the next morning. You may also dry some mango leaves and keep them in a powdered form. This is convenient since all you have to do is mix a teaspoon of the powder in water and drink it.
- Turmeric has many properties which help in reducing blood sugar levels. You can have it in various ways. Grind a bay leaf and half teaspoon of turmeric in 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel. Take this mixture twice a day, before meals.
- Gooseberry is also considered beneficial. You can mix a teaspoon each of gooseberry powder and turmeric powder in a glass of water, and let it stand for an hour. Then strain it and drink it, after adding a few drops of lemon juice. You can also mix powdered gooseberry, turmeric and fenugreek in equal quantities, along with a teaspoon of honey.
- Fresh curry leaves are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels. Eat about 8 to 10 every morning. You can also try adding it to vegetable preparations. If curry leaves are not easily available, you can have them dry and powdered, mixed in a glass of water.
- Eating garlic and onions, raw or added to food will also prove helpful.
- Boil 3 tablespoons of cinnamon in 1 liter of water for 20 minutes, strain, cool and drink it daily.
- Crush a small bitter gourd and strain out its juice. Drink this on an empty stomach every morning.
- The Indian plum is also effective as a remedy for diabetes. You can drink the juice, while even the powdered seeds boiled and consumed as a tea are quite effective.