How To Make A Pot Roast Recipe With Root Vegetables?
Pot Roast Recipe Ingredients:
3 pounds boneless beef, chuck pot roast
1 cup beef broth
30 baby carrots
1 pound red round potatoes, quartered
2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped into ½ inch thick slices
1 red onion, chopped into wedges
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick slices
¼ cup red wine, dry
8 ounce plain yogurt, low fat
2 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon, around 3 inches long
1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Black pepper, freshly ground to taste
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, whole
1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
12 whole cloves
- Prepare a rub by combining ½ teaspoon salt with 2 ½ teaspoon garam masala (garam masala recipe follows below). Rub this mixture evenly with your fingers on the meat. Leave aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven, add oil and place meat in the hot oil. Cook beef from all the sides to get an even brown color. Drain off the excess fat from the meat after cooking. Over this roast pour 1 cup or more beef broth and red wine. On medium heat boil the broth and wine with meat in the same container. After a boil reduce heat and cover the Dutch oven. Simmer on low to medium heat for 60 to 80 minutes. Add all the vegetables that are potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, parsnips and onions to the beef mixture. Cover again and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or till the vegetables and meat are tender, yet firm.
- Transfer the vegetables and beef mixture in a serving platter and reserve any cooking liquid in a separate bowl. Skim excess fat from the cooking liquid and discard it. With the help of a strainer strain the skimmed cooking liquid and add about 1 ½ cups of this liquid back to the Dutch oven. Discard any remaining cooking liquid.
- Stir cornstarch and 1 teaspoon garam masala with cold water to prepare a smooth paste. Add this paste to the cooking liquid in the Dutch oven. Cook the mixture stirring constantly until the liquid turns bubbly and thick. Cook for another 2 minutes on reduced flame. Add low fat yogurt and just heat through. Do not boil the yogurt. Season the paste with freshly ground black pepper and salt as per taste. Serve the meat and vegetables with this sauce. This recipe makes 10 servings.
- For garam masala: Combine 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, 3-inch-long piece stick cinnamon, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 12 whole cloves and 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds in a medium skillet. Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and leave aside to cool. Place the cooled cinnamon stick in a re-sealable plastic bag. Seal the bag and crush the stick with a rolling pin. Combine all the spices in a blender and blend to get a fine powder. Store the powder in an airtight container. Makes about ¼ cup garam masala.
- The beef broth used in this recipe should be preferably low sodium and low fat in nature.
- Also choose extra lean cuts of beef and trim away any visible fat to reduce the cholesterol and saturated fats value of the recipe.