Shredded Wheat With Strawberries and Milk
No. of Servings: makes 1 to 2 servings
Preparation time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cooking time: nil
Ingredients Shredded Wheat With Strawberries and Milk:
1 box of shredded wheat
1 quarter of milk
2 teaspoons of butter
1 cup of strawberries
1 cup walnuts diced
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of water
Juice of 1 lemon
1 or 2 teaspoons of lemon flavor or rose flavor
Method for preparing the shredded wheat with strawberries and milk:
- Take the shredded wheat and soak in a bowl of the milk till it gets soft.
- Take another bowl and mix together the diced strawberries, sugar and walnuts. Sprinkle the mix with rose flavor.
- Then proceed to make an opening in the center of the shredded wheat squares and fill with this mixture.
- Next brush a pan with butter and place the stuffed shredded wheat squares next to each other on the baking pan.
- Drizzle some of the butter over the tops of the squares.
- Then place the shredded wheat squares with their filings into the oven and bake at 250 degrees F until they become a golden brown.
- Take the shredded wheat out of the oven and keep it to cool for a while on a wire rack.
- While the shredded wheat squares are cooling make a syrup out of water, sugar and lemon juice.
- Boil all these ingredients together and then set aside to cool for a while. Once cooled proceed to pour this syrup all over the shredded wheat. The dish is now ready to serve.
Shredded Wheat Nutrition Facts:
- Shredded wheat is a great source of dietary fiber. A single cup of shredded wheat contains about 183 calories. It is also very low in saturated fats and makes a good breakfast cereal. It has other benefits of being low in cholesterol and low in sodium hence it is a good food for those who are trying to keep their cholesterol levels down. It contains niacin, riboflavin and thiamin. It also contains Vitamins like Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B6. However it is quite high in sugar.
- A single cup of strawberries cut in half contains 152 grams of calories. Strawberries are very low in cholesterol and in saturated fats. They are also low in sodium and high in dietary fibers. They contain manganese, potassium and high quantities of Vitamin C. They are however also high in sugar. Thus strawberries served with shredded wheat make a healthy and nutritious low calorie diet ideal for most people.