Vegetarian Corn Soup And Sweet Corn Soup Recipes
Mexican Corn Soup Ingredients:
8 corn ears, kernels cut off the cobs and reserve the cobs and kernels separately
2, 2 inch fresh jalapeno peppers, ribs discarded, seeded and flesh minced (to do this you may wear rubber gloves to prevent burning sensation in your palms)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine and roasted
½ cup celery, sliced thinly
½ cup carrot, sliced thinly
3 ½ cups chicken broth, low sodium and low fat or same amount of chicken stock
1 ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
3 tablespoon olive oil, preferably extra virgin
Cayenne to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 to 3 tablespoon fresh coriander or parsley leaves, snipped
Fresh tortilla strips
- Heat olive oil in a kettle on medium heat and sauté minced garlic in hot oil for a minute. Add jalapeno peppers and chopped onions and cook until the onions are softened, stir occasionally. Add ground coriander seeds and ground cumin and stir. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir for more one minute.
- Add celery and carrot and cook the mixture further over moderate heat for about 5 minutes or till the vegetables are tender.
- Add corn cobs, chicken stock or broth and 2 ½ cups water to the cooked vegetables and simmer the contents on low flame for about 15 minutes or until the corn kernels are tender. Discard the corn cobs once the kernels are tender. Remove the mixture from flame and let it cool.
- Blend the cool mixture in batches using a blender on high speed to get a smooth paste. If you prefer an even smooth mixture then press the blended puree through a sieve. Let the strained soup cool at room temperature.
- Boil the remaining corn kernels in a small saucepan of boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are tender. In a colander or a sieve drain them and run cold water over them to give a refresh look. Along with roasted red bell pepper, stir the boiled corn. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne and minced coriander as per taste. Serve the soup hot or at room temperature garnish with fried tortilla strips. This recipe makes 6 servings (6 medium sized cups)
- This is an easy and healthy soup recipe that is loaded with vegetables with the goodness of olive oil.
- To decrease the total calories and fat content of this recipe you may choose to serve the soup with baked tortilla strips instead of fried ones.