Apple Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Apple Soup Recipe Ingredients:
3 medium size apples, cored, peeled and quartered
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped coarsely, baking variety
½ large onion, peeled and quartered
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 can chicken broth, reduced sodium (about 7 ounce can)
¼ cup milk, fat free
½ cup water, tap water
Salt to taste
Half and half, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit.
- Combine potatoes, onions, apples and oil in a large bowl. Add white pepper and toss the mixture gently to mix well. Spread this mixture evenly in a single layer in a medium sized baking dish. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or till the mixture gets a golden brown color. Stir once to get an even golden brown color to the mixture.
- After done remove the baking dish from the oven and transfer the apple mixture in a medium size saucepan. Add water and chicken broth and bring the contents to a boil. After a boil reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer on low heat for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the potato and other vegetables are tender. Stir in small amounts of milk stirring constantly. Cool the mixture at room temperature. As the mixture is cooled transfer ½ of the mixture in a blender and blend to get a smooth paste. Pour this blended puree in a large bowl. Repeat the same blending procedure with the remaining ½ apple mixture and return the pureed mixture to the bowl.
- After done heat through the puree. Season with salt and additional white pepper as per taste. Swirl little amount of half and half into individual servings before serving if desired. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Roasted apple soup is a low calorie soup recipe which provides about 100 calories and 2 gm total fat per serving. This recipe has negligible amounts of saturated fats and cholesterol. So according to the nutrient profile this soup recipe can be classified as an ideal choice for people on low calorie diet or low fat diet. Also this recipe can be considered heart friendly and diabetes friendly.
- Each serving of roasted apple soup provides about 296 mg sodium, so people on low sodium diet or salt free diet should balance their sodium intake from other foods if they intend to include this recipe in their diet.