Apple Dessert Recipes With Apple Pie Ingredients
Apple Pie Ingredients:
3 medium sized apples, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 2/3 cups)
2 ¼ teaspoon tapioca, quick-cooking
1 tablespoon water, tap water
½ cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
For the pastry:
1 cup all purpose flour
1½ tablespoon butter
¼ cup shortening
½ tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold water, tap water
1 tablespoons milk, low fat
- Combine tapioca, apple slices, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and water in a large bowl and toss them well so as the apple slices are coated with tapioca and other ingredients. Let the contents stand for about 15 minutes.
- Combine the all purpose flour, salt and baking powder in another large bowl. Cut in shortening with the help of a blender until the mixture becomes crumbly. Add cold water gradually 1 tablespoon at a time and toss the mixture with a fork. Push the moistened dough on the sides of the bowl. Continue moistening the flour until dough is formed. Shape the dough in the shape of a ball. Divide the ball in two halves, one half should be slightly larger.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and with the help of a rolling pin roll out the larger pastry ball to fit your pie plate. Transfer this rolled pastry on the pie plate and trim off its edges. Add the filling and dot the pie with butter. To make a lattice crust, roll out remaining pastry. Trim, flute and seal the edges. Lightly brush the top layer with milk and sprinkle some sugar to garnish. Loosely cover the edges with the help of a foil.
- Place the pie plate in the oven and bake at 400 degree Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degree Fahrenheit and bake for another 40 to 50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown in color and the filling is bubbly. After done cool it on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- This is a high calorie, high fat recipe and if you are on a low fat or weight loss diet then you should watch your portion size when you feel like enjoying this recipe in your desserts.
- Lattice topped apple pie provides about 455 calories and 21 gm total fat out of which 7 gm is saturated fat. The protein and fiber content of this recipe are low, 4 gm and 3 gm respectively.