Applesauce Oatmeal Recipes And Oat Bran Cups
Apple Sauce Recipe Ingredients:
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 cup butter
1/8 cup frozen or refrigerated egg product
1small cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ tablespoon toasted wheat germ
½ cup raisins or dried mixed fruit bits
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
Non stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Coat a medium size baking pan lightly with non stick cooking spray, leave aside.
- Combine whole wheat pastry flour, 1/3 cup rolled oats, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a medium size bowl. Mix well all the ingredients and leave aside.
- Thaw the egg product well before proceeding further. In separate bowl combine butter with 1/3 cup brown sugar and with the help of an electric beater beat on medium speed until both are mixed well. Stir in the thawed egg product small amounts at a time beating constantly. Add vanilla extract and beat further. Add the applesauce and flour mixture alternately to this beaten mixture. Beat after each addition just enough to combine the mixture, do not overbeat the mixture. To this beaten mixture add raisins or the fruit bits. Spread this batter over the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the remaining rolled oats with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and toasted wheat germ. Sprinkle this mixture over the spread batter on the baking dish, press lightly. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of the dish, if the toothpick comes out clean then consider the dish done. Remove the pan from the oven and let the cake cool completely in the pan itself over a wire rack. Remove the cake from the pan, slice it and serve. If desired top each piece with raspberry before serving. This recipe makes 10 servings.
- Oatmeal applesauce cake can be considered a low calorie dessert as it provides about 150 calories and 4 gm fat per serving.
- To make this recipe diabetes friendly substitute brown sugar with natural or artificial powered sweetener. This change will also help to reduce the total calories and total carbohydrates of the recipe.