Diet And Nutrition Tips For Teenagers
Eating healthy and consuming a balanced diet is a way to keep yourself strong and fit, and nourished. When you are growing up and are at a stage when your body is slowly changing into that of an adult, then you cannot afford to go on unhealthy fad diets that are very restrictive in nature.
Healthy eating is important when you are a teenager because the food will provide your body with the energy that you need through the day; it will also help to nourish your body with vitamins and minerals; strengthen your body and facilitate growth; maintain a healthy weight; and prevent unhealthy eating habits.
- You should aim to eat three regular meals every day – breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can intersperse mealtimes with healthy snacks, whenever you feel hungry.
- Eat food products from all the food groups so that you can get all your nutritional needs. Ideally your meals should consist of proteins from lean meat, poultry, legumes and beans; vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables; carbohydrates from whole grains; calcium from low-fat dairy products; and healthy fats from certain oils.
- Do not suppress your hunger and at the same time avoid over eating when not hungry.
- Give yourself treats by eating sweets and fries occasionally.
- Do not skip meals.
Healthy Eating Habits And Smart Diet Plans
To eat healthy, you can prepare your food by boiling, steaming, stir-frying, and grilling instead of deep frying. Season the food with fresh or dried herbs like parsley, oregano and basil; and with spices like garlic powder, lemon pepper and chili flakes. Condiments are a better substitute to butter and cream. When you prepare meats, make sure to trim the fats.
- While fizzy, sugary drinks taste great, fresh juices, diet sodas and flavored waters make for a much healthier option. Drink a lot of water through the day.
- Eat slowly, chewing your food well and focusing on what you are eating so that you can enjoy your meals and eat only what is needed for the body.
- Do not go into diet mode as at this stage of life, you need all sorts of nutrients and energy.
- Always eat a healthy breakfast as you need the energy to carry you through the whole morning. Instead of eating just sugary cereal, try interesting meal options like pancakes with a mushroom, garlic and cheese filling; a variety of omelets; a stir-fry made with corn flakes and vegetables.
- Make your meals interesting and cook them with all sorts of ingredients for nutrition and health.