Low Calorie Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipes
Chocolate Pudding Ingredients
3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup sugar, divided into 3 tablespoons and ¼ cup
1 1/3 cup milk, low fat or fat free
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
½ cup vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1½ cup French bread, cubed
3 egg, whole – both whites and yolks
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks gently and place them in two separate large bowls.
- Fold 2 foil half lengthwise (12×4 inch strips) to attach foil collars to 8 soufflé dish (5 ounce each). Lightly coat one side of each foil strips with nonstick cooking spray. Drizzle ¼ teaspoon sugar over the coated foil strips. Place these prepared foil collars around ungreased soufflé dishes. The collars should extend 1 inch above the dishes and the sugar sides should be towards the center. Secure the collars with a 100% cotton string or you may use tapes. Set aside.
- Stir in cocoa powder, cinnamon and ¼ cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add vanilla extract and 2/3 cup milk in the bowl. Mix well and avoid formation of lumps. Add bread cubes, toss and leave aside.
- Melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Stir in all purpose flour and sauté constantly for a minute. Add the remaining 2/3 cup milk and stir immediately to avoid lump formation. Cook the mixture stirring constantly until it turns thick and bubbly. Remove the pan from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks for 5 minutes in the same bowl until it turns lemon colored and thick. Add the flour mixture and bread mixture, one after the other gradually.
- Beat the egg whites after washing the beater thoroughly until they reach soft peak stage (tips should curl). Add the 3 tablespoons sugar gradually and beat further till they form stiff peaks (tips should stand straight). Fold the bread mixture gradually in one direction in this beaten egg white mixture and divide it among the prepared soufflé dishes.
- Place the dishes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Insert a clean knife in the center of the dish; if it comes out clean consider it done. Remove from oven and serve immediately. This recipe makes 8 servings.
- Chocolate bread pudding soufflé is an interesting option for those suffering from diabetes. This recipe provides about 153 calories, 4 gm total fat, 23 gm carbohydrates and 6 gm proteins per serving.
- This recipe contains dairy, eggs, wheat or gluten.