Molasses Angel Food Cake with Lemon Sauce Recipe
No. of Servings: 12 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Angel Food Cake Ingredients:
Half a cup of granulated sugar
Quarter cup of fat free half and half
One lightly beaten egg
Three tablespoons of margarine or light butter
Two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Half a teaspoon of finely grated lemon peel
One cup of sifted cake flour
Half a cup of brown sugar
One teaspoon of ground ginger
Half a teaspoon of salt
Eleven egg whites
A quarter cup of molasses
A teaspoon of vanilla extract
A teaspoon of cream of tarter
- To prepare the lemon sauce, take a medium sized saucepan and mix together, the lightly beaten egg, fat free half and half and the sugar. Place the pan over a medium to low fire and heat the ingredients till the sugar has dissolved completely, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice and butter and continue to heat the ingredients, again while constantly stirring.
- Once the mixture is thick enough, so as to coat a spoon, add the finely grated lemon rind. Mix well and keep the sauce aside.
- Preheat the oven to about 350° F
- Sift together, the flour, brown sugar, well ground ginger and salt.
- Beat the eggs white well, till they are frothy, after which, add the cream of tarter. Continue to beat the eggs till you notice soft peaks forming.
- Now add the sugar, while continuously beating the mixture. Do not add all the sugar at one time, but rather do it a teaspoon at a time.
- Add the molasses, again while constantly beating the eggs.
- Add the flour mixture and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the thick batter into a tube pan and then bake for 35-40 minutes as 350° F.
- Serve with chilled lemon sauce.
Angel Food Cake Nutrition Facts: (Amounts per serving)
- ENERGY 237 cal
- PROTEIN 5.5 g
- CARBOHYDRATES 49 g
- FAT(total) 2.5 g
- SODIUM 218 mg
This delicious dessert is not just about the taste, but it has a lot of nutritional value too.