Southwestern Black Bean Cakes Which Stay Longer
Southwestern Black Bean Cakes Ingredients
2 slices of whole wheat bread
1 can black beans
1 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
1 teaspoon adobe sauce
1 egg, whole
3 teaspoon cilantro, fresh
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
½ medium avocados, ripe
1 small plum tomato, chopped
- Peel the avocado and remove the pulp in a small bowl. Lightly mash the ripe pulp with the back of a round spoon. Season the mashed avocado lightly with salt and ground black pepper as per taste. Add fresh lime juice and stir well. Cover the surface of the bowl with a plastic or cling wrap and leave aside until ready to serve.
- Tear both the whole wheat bread slices and place it in a blender container or a food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process for a few minutes or until the bread mixture resembles coarse crumbs mixture. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl and leave aside.
- Clean the same blender container or food processor bowl with a paper towel. Place the garlic and cilantro in it. Cover and blend or process until finely chopped or blended. Add the chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, adobe sauce, canned black beans, and ground cumin to the container and blend or process again for few seconds or until the mixture begins to pull away from the side of the container and the beans are coarsely chopped.
- Add this bean mixture to the coarse bread crumb mixture, mix well. Break a whole egg in the mixture, mix well. Shape the mixture into 4 thick patties, about ½ inch thick each.
- Grill the patties directly over medium coals on a lightly greased rack of an uncovered grill for 7 to 10 minutes or until heated through. Turn the patties once halfway through the grilling process to ensure even grilling from both sides. Serve hot patties with tomato and guacamole. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Egg and bread crumbs in the patties mixture act as binding agents and help to keep the patties in shape.
- Southwestern black bean cakes with guacamole recipe provide 178 calories, 7 gm total fat, 25 gm carbohydrates and 11 gm proteins per serving.
- This recipe can be considered a high fiber recipe as it provides 9 gm fiber per serving.
- This recipe can be considered a high sodium recipe too as it provides 487 mg sodium per serving.
- This recipe provides 53 mg cholesterol which mainly comes from egg yolk. If you want to decrease this value then use 2 egg whites instead of a whole egg in this recipe.