Sweet Tart Recipes And Peer Almond Tart
Tart Dessert Ingredients:
2 cup pear, seeded, peeled and sliced
1/8 cup cherries, dried
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1½ tablespoon apple juice or brandy
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon fresh lemon peel, shredded finely
½ tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
All purpose flour
Milk, reduced fat or fat free
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ tablespoon almonds, sliced
1 tablespoon shortening
½ tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon cold water, tap water (or more)
- To prepare country pear tart combine apple juice or brandy with dried cherries in a small sauce pan. Over low heat, heat the contents lightly for few seconds; make sure not to boil the liquid. Set aside, the cherries will plump as the liquid gets little cooled.
- Stir together 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the plumed cherries, remaining soaking liquid, pear slices, vanilla extract and lemon peel.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil and sprinkle the foil lightly with flour. Leave aside.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a medium sauce pan to make browned butter pastry. Remove the pan from heat when the butter turns light brown in color. Leave it aside to get cooled slightly. Stir in 2/3 pastry flour, ½ teaspoon sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Cut 1 tablespoon shortening using a pastry blender along with the browned butter in the flour mixture until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon cold tap water over a part of this mixture and toss with the help of a fork to moisten the flour. Push the moistened flour at the sides of the container and repeat moistening the remaining flour adding small amounts of cold water at a time. You may need 2-3 tablespoons of cold water to moisten the entire flour. From this moisten flour into dough and kneed this dough lightly to form a ball.
- Place this browned butter pastry on the lined baking dish. Roll the pastry from the center to the edges to form a circle. Spoon the pear tart mixture in the center of the rolled pastry. Spread the mixture leaving a 2 inch thick border. Fold or pleat the border over the pear mixture after you sprinkle sliced almonds in the center.
- Lightly brush the sides and tops of the crust with fat free milk. Sprinkle some granulated sugar on the top to garnish and place the dish in the preheated oven. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or till the crust turn golden brown in color. You may serve warm or cooled. This recipe makes 5 servings.
- This is a diabetes friendly recipe that provides about 185 calories and 6 gm total fat per serving.