Red Onion And Corn Salad Recipe
Red Onion Salad Ingredients
½ large red onion cut into ¼ inch thick slices
1 ear corn on the cob, silk and husk removed
1½ medium red bell pepper
½ medium poblano chile peppers
4 ounce haricot verts beans
2 cups red leaf lettuce
2 cups green leaf lettuce
1/8 cup sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly coat an unheated grill rack with cooking spray.
- Place the red onion slices, corn, pablano peppers and sweet peppers on the prepared rack directly over medium coals.
- Grill the onions for about 10 minutes turning once halfway through the grilling process to ensure that there are grill marks on both the sides. Remove them from the grill and cool. Grill the corn for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the corn is tender. Make sure that you turn the corn over occasionally to ensure even cooking. Remove the corn from the grill and cool. Grill peppers for about 20 to 25 minutes or until its skin is slightly blackened and charred. Turn occasionally. Remove them from the grill and wrap in a foil. Let them stand until they are cool enough to handle.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and deseed them when they are cool enough to handle. Also remove the black and charred skin carefully to separate it from the meat. Keep the poblano and red peppers separate. Coarsely chop both and set them aside.
- Cut the corn kernels from the cob when the corn is cool enough to handle. Discard the remaining cobs.
- Cook the haricots verts in a covered medium size saucepan in enough boiling water (salted lightly) until they turn crisp and tender. Drain the water and place the verts immediately in cold ice water to cool. Drain again and set aside.
- For vinaigrette: Blend the red pepper pieces and vinegar with water in a blender until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil when the blender is still running and blend until well mixed. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place green lettuce and red lettuce in a medium size bowl. Spread red onions, corn, poblano peppers and haricots verts over it. Add the prepared vinaigrette over the grilled vegetables and toss gently to coat. Reserve any remaining vinaigrette for some other use like serving with pork, fish or chicken.
- This is a healthy low calorie, diabetes friendly, vegetarian recipe which provides about 74 calories, 2 gm proteins, 7 gm carbohydrates and 5 gm total fat per serving.
- This recipe also provides about 2 gm fiber and 39 mg sodium per serving.