Granary Bakery Bread Recipe
Granary Bread Ingredients:
1 cup bread flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup rolled oats
½ cup bulgur
½ tablespoon high gluten flour
1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
1 tablespoon millet
½ package active dry yeast
½ cup boiling water
¾ cup water
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon honey or molasses
½ teaspoon salt
- Combine the millet and the bulgur in a small bowl. Add ½ cup boiling water and let the contents stand. Drain the water after 5 minutes.
- Combine the gluten flour, ½ cup bread flour and yeast in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat ¾ cup water in a small saucepan, stir in the butter, honey or molasses and salt. Heat this over low heat until the butter starts melting. Make sure that the water does not boil
- Take the saucepan off the heat and use a lid to cover it. Set it aside so that all the butter melts completely.
- Add this warm water mixture to the flour mixture and beat with the help of an electric beater on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrap the sides of the bowl and beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the whole wheat flour, oats, bulgur mixture, wheat germ and half of the remaining bread flour. Beat further to get a semi soft dough.
- Turn the soft dough on a lightly floured surface, add the remaining bread flour and kneed with your hands to get moderately stiff dough that is smooth and without lumps. Shape the elastic dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough into a lightly greased bowl. Turn the dough ball upside down to lightly grease the dough. Cover the bowl and place it in a warm place for 60 to 90 minutes or until it is almost double in size. Punch and turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cover again and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan (8x4x2 inches large) and shape the dough into a loaf by rolling or patting. Place the dough in the loaf pan. Cover and place the pan in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until it nearly doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven and bake the bread for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the top turns light brown in color. The bread should sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove the bread immediately from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Slice before serving, this recipe makes 8 servings.
- Granary bread is a healthy fiber rich, low fat recipe which provides about 115 calories, 3 gm fiber, 23 gm carbohydrates, 4 gm proteins and 1 gm total fats per serving.
- This is vegetarian, diabetes friendly as well as heart friendly recipe.