French Bread Baguette – Tasty French Bread Recipe
No. of Servings: makes 3 to 4 baguettes
Preparation time: 20 to 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Resting time: approximately 4 and a half hours
French Bread Ingredients:
4 cups of Flour
½ or 1 tablespoon of Salt
1 tablespoon of Dry Yeast
2 cups Warm Water
dash of oil to line the bowl
- Take a bowl and add half of the flour and warm water to the bowl. Also mix together the salt. Mix this for a minute to two then let the mixture rest for approximately 20 minutes.
- Knead and combine the yeast and using your hands proceed to knead the ingredients together. Do this for another 6 to 8 minutes till the dough is slightly sticky but firm. Cover this dish with a cloth and set it aside at room temperature for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the kneaded dough from the dish and give it a roll or a fold. Then replace it in the bowl and again cover it with a cloth. Leave it for another 45 minutes to ferment.
- Repeat the roll or fold procedure. Then place it in the bowl and cover it. Let the mixture rest for another 30 to 50 minutes. The quantity will have tripled in size from the initial quantity.
- Next very slowly and gently include the rest of the flour using one’s hands. Place this dough on a floured surface and proceed to knead again for 10 minutes till the dough becomes elastic and supple.
- Lightly grease the bowl with oil and place the kneaded dough in it. Cover it with a cloth and set it aside for about an hour. The quantity should double.
- Next preheat the oven 440 F or 225 C. Cut the dough into 3 to 4 parts and shape them into long baguettes. Place these loaves on a lightly greased baguette pan or on a baking sheet and let it rest for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Either provide for steam in the oven or place a bowl of water in the oven.
- Let the baguettes bake for approximately 15 minutes then turn the baguettes around to equalize the baking. Remove the bowl of water and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven heat off and let the baguettes cool down in the oven itself for about 5 minutes. Then take them out and place them on a surface to cool further. They are now ready to eat.