Banana Stuffed French Toast
Banana-stuffed French toast is a quick and simple breakfast recipe that can be prepared in about 20 minutes.
French Toast Ingredients:
4 slices brioche (French bread), 1 inch thick slices
1 medium banana, ripe
2 whole eggs, large
¾ cup milk, half skimmed milk and half full cream milk
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
Sugar for dusting
- Peel the banana and cut into ¼ inch thick slices. Take a bowl and whisk milk along with eggs, vanilla essence, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Cut the brioche horizontally in such a way that one side is intact and other sides are open.
- Stuff each slice with 4-5 banana slices to just fill the bread. Don’t overfill the pockets of the bread.
- Arrange these bread slices in a baking dish. Avoid piling the slices, spread them in one layer. After the slices are arranged pour the milk and egg mixture over them. Let the bread soak all the liquid for about 15 minutes. You may turn the sides for an even absorption.
- Take a medium size non stick pan and melt butter on a medium flame. Place the soaked slices and cook them for 5 minutes turning both the sides until they turn golden brown in color.
- After done remove in the serving plate and dust with sugar. Serve hot. This recipe serves two.
- Warm maple syrup can be a great accompaniment along with this recipe.
- To decrease the total calories of this recipe you may use cooking spray instead of butter. The main benefit of using a non-stick wear for cooking purpose is that it allows you to use minimum amount of fat. So take advantage of the same.
- To reduce the total cholesterol content of this recipe you can use only egg whites instead of whole eggs. Egg yolk is a rich source of cholesterol.
- You may also use low fat milk entirely instead of combining whole cream milk to low fat milk. This modification will also help to reduce the total fat content of the recipe.
- A small modification of this recipe – Dip the soaked and stuffed bread slices in corn flakes (or any other cereal of your choice) liberally. Then place these bread slices in the oven (preheated to 350 degree Fahrenheit) and grill for 5 minutes or till golden brown on each side. Add butter as desired while grilling.