Home Remedies for Children
Babies and children are susceptible to a wide range of illnesses. All parents get worried when their child falls ill. Natural home remedies for children are a good way of combating common childhood ailments. They are safe, gentle and easy to use. Some remedies are given below:
Home Remedies For Colds and Coughs:
- Warm up coconut oil and massage your child’s chest and the upper portion of the back for about five minutes. Do this before bedtime. Ensure that the child is not sleeping in an air conditioned room or directly under the fan after this is done. This helps to keep a cough away and results in a good night’s sleep too.
- Avoid giving bananas and milk. Soy milk is a good substitute. Refrain from any foods made from chick pea flour, reduce intake of peas, tomatoes, peanuts as well.
- An excellent potion is made by combining ginger juice and honey. Mix a little ginger juice in a teaspoon of honey. This can be given several times a day and helps to keep colds away and also to cure them. Ginger tea will also help prevent a cold.
Home Remedies for Fever in Children:
- Ensure that the child has plenty of water to drink – this prevents dehydration. Carrot juice is excellent for children with fever. Other fluids include lemon, honey and fruit juices. Give older children ice cubes to suck if they refuse to drink fluids.
- If the fever goes above 103ºF (40ºC) sponge the child down with tepid water. Never use ice cold water.
- Mix Eau de Cologne with water and apply compresses on the child’s feet, hands, stomach, back and forehead. Do this repeatedly. Lavender essence or Tea Tree essence can also be added.
- Do not bundle up the child. Shivers do not mean that the child is cold; in fact the body is trying to get rid of the fever. Cover your child with a light sheet. The shivering will stop once the fever comes down.
Home Remedies For Constipation in Children:
- Give them a high fiber diet. Include plenty of fruits, beans, vegetables and whole grains. Make them in different ways so that the children enjoy eating them.
- Increase water and fluid intake. Give them juices as well.
Home Remedies For bruises:
- Wrap some ice cubes in a towel and apply on the area immediately. Frozen peas work just as well.
- Lavender essence helps to reduce inflammation and helps the healing process too.