Onion Juice Health & Nutrition Benefits
A proper and well balanced diet is an important part of staying healthy. Today it has been scientifically proven that vegetables, raw vegetable juices, fruits and fruit juices are extremely beneficial to health and should form a large part of your diet.
An important fact to remember while preparing vegetable juice is that the vegetables must be fresh and not spoiled. Hygiene is also important, and the vegetables must be washed thoroughly in cold water before being crushed. This helps to get rid of any residual insecticides or pesticides that may still be present.
Amongst vegetables, onion juice has many health benefits. Not all onions however, have a high medicinal value. Hybrid onions that are sold in many stores have relatively low medicinal value, as they are bred to be sweet. For medicinal value, one must always choose the most pungent ones available, preferably the organically grown ones. Onion juice health benefits include relief from a number of illnesses such as common cold, asthma, respiratory problems, cough, bacterial infections and even angina. Onion juice has been known to even act as an insect repellant.
Medical experts have long acknowledged the benefits of onion juice for the health of the cardiac system. Even the World Health Organization has confirmed that onions are good for those suffering from atherosclerosis, a disease of the arteries. Onions contain strong-smelling organosulfur compounds that have the ability to fight cancer cells in humans. They also act as blood thinning agents that prevent unwanted clotting of blood.
One medium sized onion is sufficient to fill a shot glass. It may burn a little while going down but that is normal. If you have difficulty in keeping it down, try having a little honey mixed with warm water. Have a little before and after you drink the onion juice. This should help you to keep the onion juice down. It is best to have the onion juice first thing in the morning. Do not eat or drink anything for at least one hour afterwards.
Onion juice has long been used to stimulate hair growth. Aromatic foods like onions contain many natural compounds that help to stimulate the hair follicles and cleanse the scalp. Onion juice can help remove toxins from the body and stimulate blood circulation which is essential for strong and healthy hair roots. Strong and healthy hair follicles minimize hair loss. Combining onion juice with your shampoo can help nourish your hair and minimize hair loss. Read in detail about onion juice for dandruff and hair loss
Onion juice can also be used to provide relief from an itchy scalp that is caused by dandruff. The anti-bacterial properties in onions helps reduce the itching and can provide relief from dandruff in a few weeks. Some medicated shampoos even contain onion extracts which helps in the treatment of dandruff. Important nutrients in onions which play a role in keeping your scalp healthy are vitamins C & B6, potassium, magnesium, germanium and sulfur.
- For hair loss, rub a sliced raw onion on the roots of your hair before going to sleep. Let it dry for an hour and then massage your scalp with olive oil. Leave it overnight and shampoo it off with a mild shampoo the next morning. You will notice the difference in the quality of your hair within a few days. Keep repeating the treatment for a few weeks and you will notice a marked improvement.
- In clinical tests using onion juice, mild cases of alopecia areata with a few bald patches experienced positive results in almost half the cases. The onion juice seemed to have a steroidal effect on the hair follicles and boosted their growth capacity.
Onion juice is also a good treatment for acne. For this it should be mixed with honey or olive oil before being applied on the affected areas. For treating brown spots, liver spots and other dark pigmentation and discolorations, use a mix of onion juice and turmeric paste and apply it to the affected areas. Let the paste dry on the skin for about one hour before washing it off. Repeat this process for a few weeks and you will notice an appreciable difference.
Onion juice can also be used to treat ringworm. The same anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that make onion juice effective against dandruff also make it an effective treatment for ringworm. The juice has to be applied to the affected areas and left to dry for at least an hour before washing it off. It can also be mixed with olive oil before application.
Individuals suffering from earache can benefit immensely by applying a few drops of onion juice to the affected ear. This is due to the presence of essential oils which can rapidly relieve earache. Ear infections also respond well to onion juice largely due to its potent anti-bacterial action. It is also effective in providing relief from tinnitus, the ringing in the ear that affects some people.
To use onion juice for ear problems, steam or bake an onion until the skin is soft and then crush it to extract the juice. Place a few drops of the warm juice into the ear using a dropper. This will usually relieve the pain within a few minutes. Raw onion juice can also be used, but this may cause burning which can aggravate the problem. It is better to mix the raw juice with a little olive oil before application.
Studies show that the sulfur compounds in onion juice help in relieving chest congestion and are beneficial in warding off the common cold. It acts as a mucolytic agent by helping to liquefy mucus and prevents its formation. Consuming a mixture of onion juice and honey can help relieve a sore throat and provide relief from cough and even bronchitis.
- The sulfur compounds also stop the biochemical reactions that cause asthma attacks from occurring. Once again, asthmatics should consume a mixture of onion juice and honey to ward off attacks.
- The mixture of honey and onion juice should be in a 50-50 ratio and has to be kept aside for about 5 to 6 hours. It should be taken 2 to 3 times a day. In cases of bronchitis, the mixture should be had every hour till the symptoms subside.
Onion juice is very beneficial in many different types of stomach and stomach related disorders. Onions have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that provide relief to an upset stomach. They provide relief from chronic constipation and excessive flatulence. These properties of onion juice are useful in treating cases of colic and getting rid of worms in children. To treat colic, try boiling an onion in water till it is soft and then feeding it to the child. An easier way would be to prepare a mixture of onion juice and honey and feeding it to the child. Onion juice also helps to counter fluid retention and can provide relief from arthritis and gout. It acts as a diuretic, helping the body to expel excess fluids by way of urine. This property is particularly helpful in preventing the formation of kidney stones and may even help some sufferers pass smaller stones through their urine. For this treatment to be effective, raw onions should be boiled with water, which should then be drunk.
Onions contain quercetin, a powerful antioxidant which has powerful anti-cancer properties. Another lesser known property of quercetin is its ability to increase the production of testosterone in the body. Laboratory tests on rats have shown an almost 80% increase in testosterone levels of rats that were given quercetin extract. Onion juice contains quercetin in concentrated form and drinking it in large quantities is reputed to increase testosterone levels in men too, probably why onions have always been linked to virility.
Nutrition In Onion Juice
Here is some nutritional information on onions:
- There is considerable variation in the nutritional composition of different strains of onions. Various factors like maturity and duration of storage also affect their composition.
- Onion juice is rich in vitamins A, B and C and is also a rich source of folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, chromium and Phosphorus. Other nutritional benefits of onion juice include reducing the adhesiveness of platelets and making them less prone to clotting, hence lowering the risk of thrombosis. The high levels of flavonoids helps protect against cardiovascular disease, an important benefit to diabetics. The sulfides are effective in lowering the levels of cholesterol, another benefit to diabetics.
Side Effects Of Onion Juice
One of the adverse effects on health due to the consumption of large quantities of onion juice is gastric irritation. To avoid this, onion juice must be drunk in moderation. Onion juice may also cause nausea and vomiting in some cases. Application of raw onion juice can lead to skin irritation and should be tested on a small area before application on the affected areas.