Special Kabab Garnish
Ingredients: Onions – 1 medium sized, a two inch piece of ginger, a few sprigs of freshly plucked mint
Preparation time: 5-7 minutes
- Take the onion and cut both edges. Peel it and dice it finely into paper thin rings. Separate the rings without breaking them and put them into a bowl of cold or chilled water for about fifteen to twenty minute so that they remain crisp.
- Choose the rings that are the larger of the lot and fairly equal in size. Take a largish piece of tender ginger and peel it. Now slice length wise and take two or three of these pieces and cut them further in thin long strips.
- Place the onion rings in a semi circle and place the ginger strips length wise leading up to a point like a tepee. At the point, where all the sticks are joined together, place the sprig of mint. This arrangement can be used in multiple platters while serving kebabs.
- The garnish is popular with a wide variety of kebabs and if you prefer you may slice a lemon thinly and contribute to the arrangement by letting it form an outer ring, outside the onions.
- Onions contain carbohydrates, dietary fiber, sugars, water and trace amounts of a variety of vitamins such as vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B12, vitamin E and vitamin K. It is also rich in calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, sodium and zinc. It has a wide range of medicinal properties and is believed to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. They are also traditionally used to heal blisters and boils.
- Ginger is consumed for its medicinal properties, as a spice or simply as a delicacy. It is used against conditions such as dyspepsia and colic. A remedy for diarrhoea, it is one of the safest methods to ward of nausea especially for pregnant mothers as they cannot use a lot of prescription medicine as it might harm the health of the child.
- A rich source of Vitamin C, lemons also contain riboflavin, Vitamin B, carbohydrates, proteins and minerals like calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. Lemon works as a digestive, protecting the body from heartburn, parasites and preventing nausea. It helps in weight loss, controls blood pressure, cure infections of the throat, purifies blood, treats rheumatism and aids in dental care. The slices of lemon can be rubbed onto the kebabs so that the body is protected to some extent from any possible infection.