Garnished Cucumber Twist and Lemon Twists
Ingredients: 1 medium sized cucumber and 1 medium sized lemon
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Use a dark skinned long and tender cucumber, which contain very few seeds. Cut the cucumber into half lengthwise. Slice off one end by cutting it diagonally. Make paper-thin slices by keeping the same angle and take care to not cut all the way through. You should be able to make seven to nine slices in each group if you cut it finely.
- Now hold the cucumber piece skin-side down and carefully cut the skin away from the flesh by starting at the end where you have not sliced the skin. Cut finely along the skin until you have only one centimeter of skin attached and leave this part untouched. Turn the cucumber over to the opposite side and slowly bend every second slice back to the joined ends. This will leave every slice straight. Place the cucumber in a large bowl of iced water and leave it for several hours or even overnight.
- You will notice that the skin gradually lifts away from the fleshy part. This is an excellent garnish to decorate large platters of kababs. And you may do the same for three or four cucumbers depending on the number of platters you are required to garnish.
- For the lemon twists, slice a medium sized lemon thinly and place each slice flat on a cutting board. Now make a cut right into the center of the slice. Place your hands on each side of the cut and hold the slice in the fingers of both hands and twist in opposite directions. You can place two or three slices on top of one another or if you wish to give a double or triple effect, you can twist it together.
- Lemon twists can be used as a garnish for almost any dish, but it would go perfectly with dishes that are mildly spicy and will ensure that indigestion is kept at bay to some extent.
Health Benefits of Cucumber – lemon:
- The calorie content in cucumbers is minimal almost 54 KJ per 100 grams and it is believed to contain trace amounts of potassium and vitamin. This lack of nutrition however, is offset by the fact that it is extremely beneficial for those suffering from rheumatism. Whole juice of cucumbers is excellent for the skin and can be consumed orally or even applied to the skin.
- Lemon being a diuretic, also helps with rheumatism and arthritis and is a rich source of vitamin C. It also helps flush out toxins and harmful bacteria from the body.