Barley Water Health Benefits
Barley is a cereal plant that grows annually and belongs to the Gramineae (grass) family. It is one of the popular ingredients used in many breakfast foods these days. You can prepare barley water by boiling pearl barley, straining it, and then pouring the hot water over the rind. This is a popular traditional British soft drink. Some of the nutritional information and facts about barley water are as follows:
There are a number of nutritional benefits of barley water that help treat and prevent a variety of diseases and disorders.
- Barley water is a good source of dietary fiber and adding it to your daily diet will help you get the recommended daily dosage of fiber.
- It is a rich source of phosphorous that is required for cell production and repair in the body.
- It contains a good amount of copper and is therefore beneficial to people suffering from arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Ancient civilizations believed that barley water was a good remedy for improving complexion and reducing the signs of aging.
- It is a rich source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, and vitamin E.
- It is also a good source of minerals like selenium, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, and zinc.
Some of the main health benefits of barley water are as under:
- Barley water helps lower cholesterol levels in the body because of its high fiber content. By maintaining low cholesterol levels, it in turn helps maintain better cardiovascular health and prevents a number of cardiovascular disorders.
- Its rich fiber content also makes it beneficial for maintaining good bowel function. High fiber intake keeps the bowels healthy and regulates metabolism. Barley water helps restore fluid and electrolyte balance in the body, which is very helpful to those suffering from diarrhea. It is also helpful in treating constipation as high fiber helps in softening stools and allows easy excretion.
- It is beneficial in treating coughs, cold, and other inflammations of the throat.
- It helps prevent gastric inflammations by expelling harmful toxins from the body.
- Regular intake of barley water lowers the risk of hemorrhoids and colon cancer. It also helps fight various bacterial infections in the intestinal tract.
- Barley water reduces the risk of developing type-2 diabetes. It is a good source of magnesium that reacts with various enzymes involving glucose levels in the body.
- It also lowers the risk of atherosclerosis and other cardiac diseases.
Barley Water For Women
Barley water is a healthy and nutritious drink for women especially during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Barley water not only helps increase lactation, it also soothes the after pains of breastfeeding and regulates digestion for both the mother as well as the baby. Barley water contains beta glucans that help in stimulating milk production in breastfeeding mothers. It also has a low glycemic index that helps in weight loss after pregnancy. Some of the main health benefits of barley water during pregnancy include:
Other nutritional benefits of barley water are:
- It helps alleviate morning sickness and nausea
- It improves digestion and prevents problems like constipation and hemorrhoids
- It provides the daily requirements of essential nutrients to both the mother and the baby
- It helps fight infections and diseases during pregnancy
- It helps prevent yeast and urinary tract infections during pregnancy
- It prevents gestational diabetes by controlling blood sugar levels
- It helps prevent nasal congestion that is very common during pregnancy
- It improves blood circulation and prevents problems like high blood pressure, varicose veins, and edema during pregnancy
- It prevents the formation of gallstones during pregnancy
Regular consumption of barley water has a number of other health benefits as well including:
- Weight loss: The high fiber content in barley water helps you feel full longer, which in turn helps in weight loss. Furthermore, it boosts digestion and metabolism, both of which play a vital role in helping you lose weight.
- Urinary tract infection: Barley water has powerful diuretic properties that help in treating and preventing UTI. It helps increase urination and soothes urinary irritation, thereby treating urinary tract infections.
- Kidney stones: Barley water is an excellent remedy for kidney stones and various other bladder problems. It helps nourish the kidneys, effectively eliminates stones, and prevents their recurrence.
Barley water being a natural drink, rarely has any major side effects on health. Experts consider it a safe natural drink for both adults as well as children. Only in some case there may be a few negative effects on health as follows:
- Overconsumption may cause stomach irritation and loose bowels in some sensitive individuals.
- People who are gluten intolerant should avoid drinking barley water as it contains gluten.