Healthy Diet Plans >>
Diet and Weight Loss >>
Low Fat Diet Tips
Low Fat Diet Tips
- Microwave popcorns without butter or salt are excellent.
- While traveling have low-fat snacks or meals.
- Cook food in non-stick cookware and use only small amount of canola or olive oil.
- Vegetables can be steamed in a basket over boiling water. It retains color, flavor and nutrients of the vegetables. You can even add herbs.
- A tasty way to make vegetables, fish, chicken and meat is to stir- fry in a pan with little olive or canola oil and de-fattened chicken broth.
- Grilled or broiled foods are tasty low-fat dishes.
- Poach fish in water and add garlic or herbs to enhance the flavor.
- Microwave uses its own moisture to cook food, its quick and easy and doesn’t need any fat.
- Avoid adding salt to fish, meat or poultry before cooking because a good portion of vitamin and mineral is lost during cooking process.
- Do not peel a potato before cooking as it reduces its nutrients and fiber contents.
- Pizzas should be ordered with a variety of fresh vegetables excluding cheese. If it’s a cheese pizza blot with a few napkins to remove extra oil or fat.
- In Chinese restaurants order any vegetable based soup or wonton soup, stir fried foods are better; order brown rice. Food should be prepared without soy sauce and MSG.
- In Mexican foods soft corn tortillas with onions, chicken and tomato sauce; and burritos and fajitas without sour cream are considered low fat dishes.
- Apples, apricots, bananas, peaches, plums and raisins are fat-free snacks.
- Non-fat corn chips are better than French fries.
- Wider pastas are made of eggs so go in for spaghetti or linguine that is lower in fat.
Whole-grain pasta and spinach noodles are also good.
- Hot air popped corn and rice cakes are excellent low-fat snacks.
- Substitute ice cream with sherbet, sorbet, non-fat frozen yogurt and frozen fruit.
- Salad should be dressed with nonfat dressings and non-fat mayonnaise.
|Submitted on January 16, 2014