Tips For Making Healthy Applesauce Muffin
No. of Servings: 10 muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Applesauce Muffin Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cup pastry flour (whole wheat)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup soy or other non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup walnut (chopped)
- Vegetable oil spray
- You need to pre heat your oven to 375 F.
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda and mix them well.
- In another bowl add all the wet ingredients together that is applesauce, non dairy milk, oil, molasses and apple cider vinegar and mix them.
- Now to this mixture, add the flour mixture prepared earlier and stir well so that it all mixes together.
- Add raisins or dried cranberries to this mixture.
- On the other hand, grease or spray the muffin cups/tins lightly with oil. Fill the cups with only ¾ of the mixture.
- Place the tray in the oven and allow it to bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick that is inserted inside comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool or serve hot.
- Applesauce muffins are very easy to make and serve as a great snack for evening tea, breakfast or even an after dinner dessert.
- The above mentioned recipe is a low fat muffin recipe as it does not include eggs or butter.
- Apples taste delicious and are loaded with health. They are considered to be the richest sources of antioxidants (these are plant substances that help fight disease). Also it helps protect against colon cancer and reduces cardiovascular risks.
- In baked goods, eggs help to add moisture to the muffins and also act a binder putting all the other ingredients together. Applesauce can be substituted for eggs as it adds the exact amount of moisture that is needed.
- However, it does not help in raising the muffin or making it fluffy. Therefore, it is necessary to add a little bit of baking powder or baking soda to make the muffin rise.
- Also using applesauce instead of butter and oil reduces calories in the muffins, cake or bread.
- Cinnamon is a very important ingredient that plays a key role in reducing the cholesterol level and even the blood sugar level especially in type-2 diabetes.
- Flour can be substituted with oatmeal. You can also use spelt flour too.