Maintain ideal body weight with menopause diet:
I am going through menopause and keep gaining weight. I never feel full when I eat like before.
Relax, you are not alone; many women who approach menopause experience unexplained weight gain especially around the waist and hip region. Despite eating like before you won’t get the feeling of satiety and still gain weight. Many reasons like hormonal fluctuations or body’s natural response to retain estrogen producing fat cells can result in weight gain. But you need not blame these reasons and settle for excess weight on your body.
You have a choice to work against the weight gain process to maintain your ideal body weight. There is no special way to lose weight when you reach menopause, the strategy remains the same like before; that is, eat a healthy balanced diet and step up your activity level. The following tips mentioned below will help you control your body weight and prevent further weight gain.
- A conventional high carbohydrate, low fat diet followed for years which also include lots of processed foods can create a condition called insulin resistance in some women experiencing menopause. If you are experiencing this condition then your body converts most of the calories to fat, even if you are on a diet. This is a common reason for weight gain. In this condition you are gaining weight but your body cells are starving (due to insulin resistance enough glucose is not supplied to the body cells). This may be one of the reasons that even if your diet is same as before you still don’t get the feeling of fullness or satiety. This causes emotional or diet related physical stress on the body, (which often you may not realize) and to this response you eat more due to the cravings. This is a vicious cycle that causes weight gain.
- To break this cycle it is very important to pay attention to what you eat, eating right at the right time will work. Choose good sources of carbohydrates like lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, unprocessed cereals, grains and its products instead of processed foods.
- Preferably eat only when you are hungry and only enough till your tummy is full. As you age the body metabolism slows down so if you cut down excess calories in your diet or if you starve totally then your body will respond to conserve energy and make losing extra pounds harder.
- Decrease your dietary sources of fat, both visible and invisible like fatty or oily foods, junk foods, high fat dairy or high fat meats. Choose healthy options in fat like nuts, olive oil, lean cuts of fish, poultry and low fat dairy products.
- Increase your physical activity to shed the extra pounds. To burn fat and boost your metabolism aerobic exercises can be chosen. Spend time more in activities you love like gardening, dancing, jogging or brisk walking. In this way you can lose pounds even without starting a proper exercise regime.