Saffron Health Benefits
Saffron is not only a rare and exotic spice; it is also the most expensive spice in the world. Saffron (Crocus Sativus) is known as the golden spice; mainly because of its reddish-golden color and is grown in most parts of the world including many European and Asian countries. While saffron is in demand because of its fragrance, flavor, and color, it is important to note that this spice also has several therapeutic benefits. These are some of the several saffron health benefits.
- Skin: Saffron contains antioxidants that protect the skin from free radicals and this makes it very valuable in anti-aging natural treatments. You can mix a small pinch of saffron with raw papaya pulp and apply this paste to your face and neck 15 minutes before your shower. Raw papaya contains natural Papain and this enzyme helps to slough off dead skin cells while the oxidant rich saffron will help to prevent wrinkles and blemishes.
- Cancer Treatment: Scientists have been able to identify various compounds in saffron that have anti-carcinogenic and anti-mutagenic properties and saffron extracts can even delay certain types of tumor growth. There is extensive research carried out by the National Institute of Pediatrics to tap the benefits of saffron in negating cancer.
- Saffron During Pregnancy: During pregnancy, women are generally advised to consume saffron milk as it enhances pelvic blood flow. Furthermore, saffron has carminative properties- this means that it helps to suppress cramps. Gas and bloating during pregnancy are common problems and a glass of saffron milk can help to ease digestion and reduce flatulence. Pregnant women also experience mood swings, anxiety, and depression. Saffron stimulates the production of serotonin in the body and so a glass of warm saffron milk is perfect for gloomy days. Larger doses of saffron can have a negative impact on pregnant women as it could have an abortive effect ; it is therefore necessary for pregnant women to discuss their saffron dosage with their DNM (doctor of natural medicine) as well as with their obstetrician.
- Treat Macular Degeneration: Saffron tablets also help in the treatment of Macular degeneration. Macular degeneration is a condition that affects the cells in the eyes thus causing vision disability. Saffron not only slows down the degeneration process but also helps to heal the damaged cells completely.
- Asthma: Saffron is an effective treatment for asthma as well as conditions of the kidney and liver. Asthma mainly occurs due to inflammation of lung tissue and the narrow airways. Saffron helps in clearing the airways since it reduces the inflammation. This facilitates easy breathing that helps reduce the severity of an asthmatic attack.
Saffron Oil Medical Benefits
The benefits of saffron oil are seen only if it is used in the right quantities. The excessive use of saffron oil can cause a variety of side effects. Saffron oil helps in the treatment of a number of heart conditions and has antioxidant properties that keep the arteries and blood vessels in good health. The oil is also highly beneficial for the skin and treatment of rashes, insect bites and stings. It helps treat cough and improve overall health of the body. It is important that you keep your doctor informed if you are using saffron oil in any form for the treatment of any disease.
Medicinal Advantages of American Saffron Tea
American saffron tea can be prepared very easily. Add a pinch of American saffron to a cup of water and boil it. To this add some sugar and your tea is ready for consumption. The wide range of medicinal advantages of American Saffron tea makes it very effective in treating several health conditions.
- Firstly this acts as a natural cleanser of toxins from the body.
- American saffron tea also helps in the treating stomach ulcers and lacerations.
- This is one of the most potent treatments for psoriasis.
- Saffron tea is also effective in the treatment of intestinal disorders.
- Consumption of saffron tea also negates gas accumulation in the stomach and intestines, thus preventing gastritis.
Nutritional Benefits of Saffron Milk
Saffron milk is termed to be very healthy for a person as it is very rich in nutrition and has innumerable benefits to the body. Here are some reasons that you should include saffron milk in your regular diet plan. Saffron milk is rich in carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. However its cholesterol levels are almost negligible thus helping in the treatment of problems related to high cholesterol. It provides you with dietary fiber and is a rich source of folates, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C along with riboflavin and Niacin. Calcium in the milk provides strength to the bones and also teeth and this helps to strengthen the skeletal frame. Saffron milk is also a rich source of other minerals such as iron, zinc, copper and phosphorous.
Saffron Herbal Supplements
Saffron herbal supplements are easily available at various medical stores. These supplements can be used in the treatment of conditions like erectile dysfunction, lung cancer, blood pressure, and so on. It is necessary to speak to your doctor regarding the right dosage of these supplements.
Saffron Side EffectsThe intake of saffron needs to be monitored. In case this spice or saffron supplements are consumed in excessive amounts, there is the fear of some minor side effects; which include:
There are also a few serious side effects of saffron; so, if you notice any of the following symptoms, you need to seek immediate medical attention.
- Food cravings or appetite reduction
- Bloody stools
- Blood in urine
- Persistent vomiting
- Feeling of vertigo
The side effects of saffron could be dangerous when its intake is not properly monitored. Saffron could also cause allergic reactions in certain individuals and therefore one needs to be careful of such situations. Doctors also advise breast feeding mothers to avoid medium to large doses of saffron, as the effects on a newborn baby are unknown.