|Healthy Diet Plans >> Glycemic Index Diet >> Glycemic index weight loss|
Glycemic index weight loss
Carbohydrates are an extremely important part of our diet. They make for the larger portion of the energy giving foods and therefore cannot be foregone. However, it is important to understand that not all carbohydrate foods contain the same nutritional content. There are some foods which are better than others. Most carbohydrates behave and react differently once they are in our bodies.
The glycemic index is, in fact, the measure of how much effect a carbohydrate has on the glucose levels in the body. The glycemic index describes the difference between different carbohydrates and their respective effects on the glucose levels. It also helps rank carbohydrate foods according to the benefits that they have for the body. A glycemic index chart will typically show this ranking of foods according to their affect on the human body and the glucose levels.
Glycemic index can be very beneficial for those who are looking to lose weight. A glycemic index weight loss plan incorporates foods with a low glycemic index, so that less amount of calories are consumed. When you choose carbohydrates which have a low glycemic index, these produce very small fluctuations in the insulin and blood glucose levels. Consuming these foods in the long term not only allows you to reduce the risk of heart problems but also helps you keep a watch on your weight. Low glycemic index foods also allow you to also reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
Sustainable weight loss can be made possible by referring to a glycemic food index list and preparing glycemic index diets from the foods picked up from that list. Since high glycemic index foods are harmful for the health, stress is laid on the foods which have a low glycemic index. If you are already overweight and have a sedentary lifestyle, by switching to low glycemic index diets you can slow down the glucose accumulation in your blood. This slow trickling of glucose levels into the blood allows you to maintain energy levels for a longer period of time. Not only does your energy level remain balanced, but you also feel fuller between your meals and therefore do not over eat.
Glycemic diet weight loss is the best way to have sustained loss of weight. When your glycemic index is low, you can manage weight in a better manner. Here are some of the most common benefits of a low glycemic index diet:
• The body’s insulin sensitivity is increased as you continue to consume low glycemic index foods.
• Low glycemic index foods can help people prevent diabetes. If you already suffer from diabetes, low glycemic index foods can help you manage the condition and overcome the symptoms.
• Foods with a low glycemic index help reduce the risk of heart diseases and blood pressure.
• Blood cholesterol levels can be kept in a check by consuming foods low in the glycemic index.
• If you are suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, low glycemic index foods can help you manage the symptoms of the disorder.
• The low trickle of glucose into the blood by consuming low glycemic index diets can help in keeping you satiated for a longer period of time.
• Low glycemic index foods also help you improve physical endurance and can help refuel your body after you have performed physical activities or exercises.
A low glycemic index diet is an easy one to follow. In this diet, you do not have to particularly eat new things or abstain from certain items. You simply have to substitute some foods with others. For instance, you can switch to breakfast cereals made from oats, bran, and barley. Substitute refined flours with wheat flours and whole grain flours. There are many other such small substitutions that can be made in this manner.
|Submitted on January 16, 2014|