Excess chlorine in water causes grey hair:
What are the causes for premature grey hair?
Grey hair is a natural gift for a person as he/she ages. However premature graying of hair is very common these days and can be due to a variety of reasons like heredity, repeated hair coloring or using excessive chemicals for different hair treatments. Excess chlorine in water, stress, worries, deficiency of some nutrients, scalp diseases like leukotrichia and unhygienic scalp conditions can also cause premature graying. Today premature graying is so common that you can even see a 5 year old child with grey hair. Genetic makeup of a person often decides the age at which graying starts.
Grey hair can even be an indication for improper protein synthesis. Melanin is the color pigment present under the skin of the scalp which gives the hair its color. Some conditions can alter or slow down the production of melanin and cause premature graying of hair; these include constant tension, worries, and prolonged periods of stress, deep sorrow, shock or malnutrition. The mentioned tips below will help you to prevent further graying of hair, however if your graying is due to some medical conditions or disease of the scalp then consult a specialist for immediate help to prevent further graying.
Remedies for premature grey hair
- If you have any worries, stress, shock, or sorrow; learn to deal with the situation first. Avoid stress of any kind, be it physical or emotional.
- Avoid coloring your hair often or using any chemicals for curling or re-bonding your hair as this can have an adverse effect on the pigment melanin. Also other temporary options like using curlers, ironing machines or blow drying can also affect your hair.
- Check if you have any nutritional deficiency. Commonly a deficiency of iodine, iron, copper and B-complex vitamins can cause premature graying of hair. Correct any nutritional deficiencies to prevent further graying of hair.
- Include black sesame seeds liberally in your diet to prevent premature graying.
- Drink a lot of water in the day and eat a well balanced diet which is rich in complex carbohydrates, good quality proteins and low in fat. For this, you can include whole grains, cereals and its products, fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouts, beans, other pulses, fish, eggs, de skinned poultry, lean cuts of meat and low fat dairy products.
- To hide your current grey hair you can use a natural dye. For this boil 2 table spoons of tea in a cup of water, strain and cool it. Apply when lukewarm and leave it for 50-60 minutes. Rinse with warm water without using any shampoo, conditioner or soap.