What is white chocolate?
White chocolate can be described as a type of confection which is made using ingredients such as milk solids, cocoa butter and sugar. As the name suggests, this confection generally has an ivory, or a pale yellow appearance. Several chocolate connoisseurs state that contrary to its name, white chocolate is not a type of chocolate at all. This is because white chocolate neither contains cocoa solids, nor does it have chocolate liquor, both of which are primary ingredients found in regular milk chocolate or dark chocolate. However, because it contains cocoa butter, which is derived from the cacao plant, there are traces or hints of chocolate in it, in spite of the fact that it has its own delicate, yet distinctive flavor.
There are several people who prefer the sweetness, the taste and the overall texture of white chocolate to regular or bitter chocolate. This is probably why there are several white chocolate recipes that have become so popular all over the world. In fact, white chocolate has become so popular, that some of the leading brands of chocolate manufacturers have starting marketing white chocolate bars, which are easily available at most stores and supermarkets. White chocolate gifts, made from the finest quality of chocolate have also become very popular, especially in case of those women, who are very conscious about their skin.
The process in which white chocolate is made is a lot like regular chocolate, but the basic difference lies in the white chocolate ingredients.
White chocolate ingredients list
White chocolate was made in Switzerland for the first time in the 1930s and therefore that is where it originated. Rumor has it that originally it was made by a leading chocolate manufacturing company only in order to use up their excess stock of cocoa butter. However, in today’s world, almost every leading chocolate manufacturing company sells a variety of white chocolate products, like bars, truffles, or even mousse and cakes. Since it is not too difficult to make white chocolate, there are many people who try their hand at preparing this confection at home. Fortunately, the white chocolate ingredients required are quite limited and are easily available. However, a wet grinder is required, to achieve the proper and preferred white chocolate consistency. Given below is the white chocolate ingredients list, as well as the preparation method, for preparing this treat at home:
• 16 ounces of cocoa butter
• 14 ounces of powdered sugar
• 14 ounces of milk powder
• 1 teaspoon lecithin
• In a medium saucepan, melt the cocoa butter and stir it, till it becomes soft and creamy
• Pour the melted cocoa butter in a kitchen wet grinder & allow it to start rotating
• Gradually, add in the powdered sugar, the milk powder as well as the lecithin, to the cocoa butter.
• Allow the wet grinder to run for at least a couple of hours, preferably 6 or 7, depending on the desired consistency.
• After removing the while chocolate mix from the wet grinder, pour it into the moulds and allow it to set for at least 24 hours, preferably in a refrigerator
• Once the chocolate has set, it can be broken into smaller pieces or served as it is
There are many parents who also feel that it is better for their children to eat white chocolate, instead of regular milk chocolate. Some parents allow their kids to have a small portion of a white chocolate bar almost everyday. However, there are other parents who go as far as preparing white chocolate recipes for kids, just to discourage their children from eating high quantities of regular chocolate.
Given below are some of the most popular white chocolate recipes for kids:
• White Chocolate Bundt Cake
• White Chocolate Brownies
• White Chocolate Cookies With Cranberry
• White Chocolate Biscotti
• White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
• White Chocolate And Raspberry Cheesecake
• White Chocolate Sauce
• White Chocolate Crème Brule
• White Chocolate Mousse
• White Chocolate Fudge
• White Chocolate Cake
White chocolate cake is one of the most popular recipes, not just with children, but also with grownups. Given below is one of the easy recipes that can be use to prepare white chocolate cake at home, right from the scratch:
White Chocolate Cake
• 4 ounces of white chocolate
• 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
• 6 large egg whites
• 1 cup of vegetable shortening, solid
• 2/3 cup of sugar
• ¼ cup of milk
• 2 teaspoons of baking powder
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
• Flour and grease two cake pans, with the size of 9 inches each
• Take a large mixing bowl and pour all the flour into it. Add the salt, as well as the baking powder to it. Mix all the ingredients lightly and leave them aside.
• Melt the chocolate, either in a saucepan, placed over low heat or use a double boiler for the same purpose. Once the chocolate has melted completely, allow it to cool for a few minutes.
• In another bowl, place the shortening and sugar and beat them, till they form a smooth mixture. This should take at leas 3 to 4 minutes.
• Once smooth, add the egg whites, as well as the milk to the mixture. Very slowly, beat in the mixture of the flour, salt and baking powder into this too, till the ingredients form a smooth batter.
• Spread this batter evenly, into the cake tins and place them into the oven. Bake for around 18 to 20 minutes and check with a wooden toothpick, to make sure that the cake is done, before removing it from the oven.
• Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes or so, before cutting it.
It is best to make a frosting using white chocolate too, to enhance this recipe
Excessive amounts of any food can be harmful and this includes white chocolate too. Therefore, it is best to eat no more than a small quantity of this sweet treat and that too only on certain occasions.