Diet For Children With Asthma And Asthma Cure
My child continues to gain weight even though she is very active and walks and tries to eat healthy. Can her asthma be the cause of it? Please suggest some dietary pattern which takes care of her asthma as well as obesity.
Asthma is a chronic disease of the lungs that inflames and narrows the airways. Common symptoms of asthma include lack of breath (difficulty in breathing), cough, tightness of the chest, and continuous whistling sounds when you breathe. Normally, people with asthma suffer from fits of coughing in the morning or at night. Asthma can affect people of all ages, though it normally starts in adolescence.
The airways are pipes or tubes that carry air into and out of the lungs. Asthma patients develop inflamed airways. This causes the airways to be sensitive and swollen, and to react strongly to substances that are inhaled into the lungs along with air. The sensitized airways cause the muscles to tighten. This narrows the airways and lesser air flow through them. Condition can aggravate further, making it very difficult for people to breathe.
Can asthma lead to weight gain?
According to recent studies, it has been shown that asthma can lead to weight gain in women but not in men. So there is a good chance that your daughter might be putting on weight due to asthma.
Diet For Treating Asthma
Here are some dietary tips that include foods that are known to relieve asthma.
- Figs are helpful in treating asthma. They drain off the phlegm and give a lot of comfort to the patients.
- Lemon is another fruit that is beneficial in treating asthma.
- Honey is a very good remedy for asthma. Inhaling the odor that comes from a honey jar can help to breathe easily.
- Roots of bitter gourd have been used over the ages for healing asthma.
- Ginger juice mixed with fenugreek decoction and honey helps in getting rid of phlegm.
- Other foods that will help asthma patients include garlic, bishop’s weed and safflower.
- Asthma patients should consume low quantities of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. They should increase their intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and seeds. Foods such as rice, sugar and yogurt cause phlegm and should be avoided. Alcohol, coffee and tea should also be avoided by asthma patients.
- Asthma may be caused by many different factors. It may arise due to the weather, drugs, perfumes or some other irritant. Many breathing exercises may also be taken up to bring relief to asthma. Practicing yoga breathing exercises is not a bad idea. The patients may also fast once in a week to help reduce asthma symptoms.