Hi! I would have been able to help you better, provided, all the necessary information, such as your height, weight, sex, activity pattern and so on are available. Do you mean to say that you are overweight or underweight? I shall list down certain guidelines for both the issues. You can revert back, if you require more information.
Basic guidelines for weight loss are as follows:
- Eat frequently, but decrease the quantity of food. Calorie reduction is one of the best ways to lose weight. Three meals and three snacks prove beneficial.
- High fiber foods such as fruits and vegetables provide satiety and thereby decrease the intake.
- Moderate intake of protein such as egg, deskinned poultry, lean meat and so on proves effective.
- Micro waving, steaming, boiling and grilling are some of the healthy methods of cooking, in comparison to deep fat frying.
- Avoid saturated fats, such as margarine and butter and replace the same with unsaturated fats. Sunflower oil, groundnut oil, soy oil and other vegetable oils are helpful.
- Adequate amount of water, around eight glasses is useful. Many a times, thirst is mistaken for hunger.
- Eat at fixed time, everyday. Improper meal timings cause an increase in the intake.
- Try to eat at home. Avoid second helpings and eat in smaller plates.
- Physical activity such as walking, jogging and swimming helps in shedding the extra pounds.
Underweight is associated with certain deficiencies, which need immediate concern. Improve muscle mass by increasing the intake of eggs, fish, poultry and lean meat. Weight gain is possible by the following methods:
- Increase the calorie intake by eating frequently. Increase the three meal pattern to six meal pattern, which includes three meals and three snacks.
- Energy dense foods such as dried fruits, nuts, cheese sticks and yoghurt and so on prove beneficial.
- Avoid non healthy foods, loaded with fat, to increase weight. This results in other complications, such as atherosclerosis, diabetes and so on.
- Weight training exercises, such as barbell dips, parallel bars and dumb bells prove effective in weight gain. Aerobics fail to help.
Height is determined by the genes. Certain methods to increase height are:
- Hanging and stretching exercises prove effective in increasing height.
- Surgical procedures help in increasing height, though it is too early for you.
- Breast stroke aids in increasing the spine length.
- Sleep with the legs in an elevated level. This aids in the synthesis of growth hormone thereby increasing the height of the individual.