When you want to gain weight, diet and nutrition form the important factors. There are many weight gain diet plans that can help you achieve your goal. However, as it is very rightly said, “We become what we eat.” This means that the food we eat affects our lives and nutrition dynamically. A change in diet is the key to gaining weight. Gaining weight is easy, but to do so while staying healthy is more important.
In order to gain weight, you need to consume more calories than you are expending every day. You should consult a dietitian to know the daily calorie requirement of your body. The food you eat must provide all the nutrients and calories needed by your body to stay healthy and fit.
The most critical part is that you should chose healthy foods in order to remain healthy. You can’t consume more fat because it is high in calories. The food that you eat is more important than the amount of calories it contains. So chose foods that have good nutritional value and those extra calories. In order to gain weight, you should consume more proteins, veggies, fruits, less fat, and a small amount of carbohydrates.
Proteins helps you build muscles,veggies and fruits maintain the water balance in the body, and carbohydrates maintain the energy level required for day to day activities. Avoid consuming saturated fat to keep many health disorders at bay. Also start consuming small portions of meals atregular intervals. Instead of two big meals, try to eat four to six small meals in a day atregular intervals.
The foods to be included in these meals that will help you to gain weight include:
Foods rich in protein
- Dairy products: Cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, low fat milk, mozzarella cheese.
- Fish: Tuna,surmei, eel, mackerel, shellfish, shrimp, oyster, crab.
- Nuts and seeds: Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, hazelnut, walnut, pistachios, peanuts, sesame seeds.
Foods rich in carbohydrates
- Meat and poultry: Chicken, lamb, beef, pork, rabbit, hare.
- Fruits: Avocados, mango, apple, oranges, cherries, pears, strawberries, kiwis, lemons, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, apricot, dry fruits, bananas.
Food rich in fats
- Vegetables: Carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, buckwheat, barley, wheat, cauliflower, French beans, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, celery, potatoes, eggplant, cucumber, pumpkin.
- Fish: Salmon, mackerel, sardines.
- Oils: Safflowers, olive, sunflower, Walnut, sesame, almond.
- Seeds and nuts: Almonds, sunflower seeds, cashew nuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds.
These are some of the best foods with excellent source of all the nutrients, which are essential to gain weight. Also, keep in mind that exercise is also equally important to weight gain. Thus, a proper balanced diet and regular exercise will help you gain weight and stay healthy.
- Meat & Poultry: Chicken, turkey, beef, pork.