What are the most effective exercises to reduce tummy fat?
The best way to reduce tummy fat is through a combination of diet and exercises. There are numerous exercises that can help you burn off that unwanted fat around your tummy. Three exercises that can help both men and women burn off tummy fat are abdominal, bicycle and sit up crunches.
For tummy fat reduction, abdominal crunches are the way to go. They are one of the most efficient means of reducing tummy fat and can produce results in a short span of time. Initially, you may find it difficult to perform these crunches, but it should become easier within a few days.
These exercises should be performed every day and the results will be apparent within a month.
How to do abdominal crunches:
- Lie down flat on the floor.
- Bend your knees while keeping your feet on the floor.
- Hold your hands by your head so that your fingers are touching your head just behind the ears.
- Do not interlock your hands.
- Take a deep breath and lift your head and chest.
- You will feel a tightening of the abdominal muscles.
- Hold still for a moment.
- Now move downwards slowly while exhaling.
- The downward movement must be slower than the upward crunch. Repeat the steps 5 to 10 times in a single set.
Work up to three sets a day with appropriate intervals between each set. A 15 minute workout every day will soon burn off the tummy fat and you should see evidence of this within a month.
Make sure that your head faces the ceiling initially and thereafter remains in a straight line with your spine. The chin should not touch the chest as this increases pressure on the neck and reduces pressure on the abdomen. Do not keep your feet up on a bench or desk. These exercises fall into the high intensity category and are the most effective for reducing tummy fat. Read more tips on reducing stubborn belly fat.
Bicycle crunches are another great way to reduce abdomen size by burning away tummy fat. It employs a cycling action that targets the lower abdominal region.
How to do bicycle crunches:
- Lie down flat on the floor and look up at the ceiling.
- Place your arms by your side with the palms facing downwards.
- You can also place your hands behind your head.
- Raise your legs slowly into the air with your knees bent at a slight angle. Commence the cycling motion in a steady rhythm and continue this motion for a period of two minutes.
- Do three sets of this exercise every day.
Before doing this exercise it is important to perform some warm up exercises that will ensure healthy blood circulation. Ensure that you lie down on a flat and firm surface. Wear loose clothes that will not impede your blood circulation. Do not perform these exercises on a full stomach as they may cause you to vomit. This exercise is more effective if it is performed outdoors.
These exercises target the fat that accumulates in the lower abdominal region. They also strengthen the abdominal muscles and help reduce the side bulge around the tummy.
Sit Up Crunches
Another exercise that helps reduce tummy fat with great effectiveness is the sit up crunch.
How to do sit up crunches
- Lie down flat on the floor with your legs straight and your arms by your sides.
- Bring up the legs so that your knees are bent at 90 degrees.
- Move your arms behind your head so that your fingers are touching your head just behind the ears.
- With the lower body and abdominal region resting on the floor, try to move the portion of your body above the abdominal region and do a crunch.
- Repeat the exercise 8 to 12 times per set.
- Do three sets every day with appropriate intervals between each set. The exercise is similar to abdominal crunches, the only difference being, that in sit up crunches you raise your body completely.
This exercise is more effective when performed outdoors as the fresh air improves blood circulation. Make sure you inhale while sitting up and exhale while moving downwards. Wear loose clothes so as not to impede blood circulation.
Apart from these three exercises, there are many other exercises that can help in abdomen trimming. These include reverse crunches, leg lift exercises, hip lift exercises, stomach vacuum exercises and inclined sit ups. A professional physical trainer will help you to formulate an exercise regimen that can help you accomplish your goal of losing tummy fat.
What kind of a diet helps to reduce belly size?
Fat tends to accumulate in the abdominal region for both men and women. This usually happens due to poor dietary habits and sedentary lifestyles. For overweight people, dietary changes along with regular exercise are needed to reduce belly size. A diet chart for tummy reduction will include the following steps.
- Cut back on your calorie intake. To lose weight your calorie intake needs to be less than the amount of calories you expend.
- Cut back on foods that are high in saturated fats, sugar and empty calories; this includes whole fat dairy products, processed meats, deep fried foods, and foods with refined carbs.
- Eat foods with a high fiber content. Fiber is bulky and takes longer to digest and has fewer calories. Fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains are some of the foods with high fiber content. Eating lots of fruits is good for stomach reduction due to their low calorie and high fiber content. Read more on belly fat fighting foods.
- Drink adequate amounts of water. Avoid sweetened drinks, tea, coffee and alcohol. Drink a glass of water before your meal. It will help you to eat less.
- Eat small, balanced meals at regular intervals. You can also read information on home remedies for reducing belly fat.
Does drinking warm water help in reducing abdominal fat?
There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that drinking hot water helps in reducing abdominal fat. At the same time, there are no known ill effects from drinking warm water, so go ahead and do so, if it makes you feel good!