Benefits Of A Honey And Vinegar Diet
The benefits of a honey and vinegar diet combine the individual benefits of both these substances. Honey has several curative properties such as anti-inflammatory, anti-emetic and painkilling properties. Vinegar has a beneficial effect on blood sugar levels, on the cardiovascular system as well as the digestive system. Together, these two foods provide benefits to some of the most important organs and systems of the body.
A natural vinegar which has a lot of health benefits is apple cider vinegar. When combined together, the benefits of an apple cider vinegar and honey diet include:
- Nutrients – Honey contains an astounding array of essential nutrients.
Sugar apart, it is a rich source of essential minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, sulfur and phosphorus. Apart from these minerals, it also contains traces of copper, zinc and iodine. Depending on the type of pollen and nectar, honey is also a rich source of vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6 and C.
- Digestion – The combined effect of these two substances helps to rid the stomach and other digestive organs of harmful bacteria. This acts as an aid to the digestive process and also helps in cases of gastritis and upset stomachs. It also helps to reduce the incidence of gastric reflux and heartburn.
- Weight loss – Although difficult to follow, this diet is a safe and effective way to lose weight. Mixing a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar along with a tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water and having the mixture before meals is said to impart a feeling of fullness and limits the amount of food you eat per meal. The lower food intake can help with weight loss.
- The combine effect of the two is also reputed to be good for the metabolism of stomach fat.
- Skin Care – The diet is great for the skin. Both these substances have had a long association with skin care. Beauticians regularly recommend this diet as a means of keeping skin healthy and free of pimples and acne. Together, they both have antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties that help keep your skin healthy. Applying a mixture of the two is also said to be good for the hair and is reputed to cure dandruff.
- Anti-inflammatory – Honey possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Apple cider vinegar too is reputed to possess anti-inflammatory properties though this remains unproven. Traditional healers have for long used this combination to treat inflammatory disorders such as arthritis and gout.
- Blood sugar – Vinegar has a positive effect on blood sugar levels. This combined with its ability to control food intake makes it helpful to diabetics.
- Tumors – Vinegar may also have a beneficial effect on tumors and may inhibit the proliferation of human cancer cells.
- Allergies – A diet of vinegar and honey is also reputed to be good for treating allergies.
A variation of the vinegar and honey diet is the vinegar, honey and lemon diet. A person following this diet drinks a mixture of honey, vinegar and lemon juice before meals for a period of two weeks. It is reputed to be good for weight loss and for skin problems. However, any weight loss regimen cannot rely on this diet alone. Weight loss is normally only accomplished by a combination of diet and exercise.
Because vinegar has such a strong taste, many people cannot have it unless it has been diluted. The vinegar, honey and water diet solves this problem. In this diet, vinegar and honey in equal proportions are diluted in warm water and drunk before each meal.
Some people report having experienced side effects from the vinegar and honey and related diets. For this reason you must consult your doctor before trying out any of these diets.