Fruits for gout, arthritis and joint inflammation
Fruit is a healthy gift of nature which we should respect. "An apple a day keeps a doctor" away this is a saying which we have heard number of times, but besides just hearing it is very important to implement it in our daily diet. Besides apples also include variety of fruits as the nutrient content of all fruits vary, so it is very important to include all the seasonal fruits in your diet.
Some tips to follow
- To get the maximum benefits nutritionally, it is always wise to eat fresh fruits preferably with skin.
- Eat fruits on empty stomach and never with meals, as fruits contain simple carbohydrates which are easily digested in the body. So when fruits are combined with meals, they tend to decompose in the process of digestion and the vital nutrients present in them are then not available to the body.
- Chew a piece of fruit when you have a sweet tooth; this will help you to curb your craving for sweet foods.
Benefits of fruit consumption
- There are many reasons to consume at least 2-3 servings of fruits daily, these include
- Food is comparatively low in calories and has negligible fat content – very healthy for calorie counters.
- The simple carbohydrates in fruits serve as an excellent food source for brain.
- Fruits are also a very good source of fiber; which gives a feeling of satiety by adding bulk to the diet and is also beneficial in other clinical conditions like diabetes mellitus, heart diseases, obesity and constipation.
- The antioxidants present in fruits help to beat back the ageing process.
- Resveratrol found in red grapes and anthocyanin found in cherries, blueberries, kiwi, plums and blackberries helps reduce the risk of cancer and heart diseases at bay.
- Guvava, oranges, papaya and indian gooseberry are very good sources for vitamin C an antioxidant.
- Mangoes and papaya are excellent source for beta carotene.
- Dried fruits are good source of energy and iron and can be added in the breakfast cereals.
- According to recent studies consuming cherries or cherry juice helps to relieve the pain caused due to gout, arthritis and joint inflammation.
The latest trend of eating healthy food is becoming a fast way of life this includes incorporating at-least 3 to 4 servings of fresh fruits daily in ones diet. Fruit juices are also vary appealing, but they comparatively have more calories, sometimes also due to added sugar and low fiber.