Great Northern White Bean Recipe With Rice For Supper
White Beans Ingredients With Dried Tomatoes
7 ounces sun dried and oil packed tomatoes, drained and chopped
3 can white kidney beans
1 cans vegetable broth, reduced sodium
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 ounce shaved Asiago cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts
- Combine drained white kidney beans, low sodium vegetable broth and minced garlic in a 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Cover the lid and cook the mixture on high heat setting for 3 ½ to 4 hours or on low heat setting for about 6 to 8 hours.
- If you are using low heat setting then turn the setting on high heat 15 minutes before the stipulated cooking time. Open cooker and add the sun dried tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes more or just until the tomatoes are heated through.
- Remove the bean mixture with the help of a deep spoon in six different serving platters. Top each serving with shaved Asiago cheese. Sprinkle pine nuts and serve warm. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- White bean with dried tomato is a very simple and completely vegetarian recipe. Besides the cooking time, its preparation is very simple as it basically just requires adding the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- This recipe provides 242 calories, 38 gm carbohydrates, 9 gm total fat and 16 gm proteins per serving. This is a fiber rich recipe as it provides as high as 12 gm fiber per serving which almost suffices 50 % daily recommended fiber requirement (recommended fiber levels for an average healthy person per day is about 25 to 30 gm).
- As this is a completely vegetarian recipe it provides negligible amounts of cholesterol- that is only 10 mg per serving (mainly contributed by the shaved Asiago cheese). Also the saturated fat and total fat of this recipe is not too high. Thus this recipe can be safely consumed by people on low fat or low cholesterol diets.
- White bean with dried tomato recipe can be considered a very high sodium recipe as it provides 789 mg sodium per serving. If you are on a reduced sodium diet then make sure to read the food labels for the sodium content and always choose reduced sodium or sodium free products (many companies offer low sodium or salt free products too).
- Particularly in this recipe make use of low sodium canned beans, low sodium vegetable broth, low sodium sun dried tomatoes and any other low sodium or salt free cheese to ensure an overall low sodium content recipe.