Chili White Bean For Baked Bean Moussaka Recipes
White Bean Moussaka Ingredients:
2 can white kidney beans
2 ¼ cup soft bread crumbs, whole wheat
1 ½ pound eggplant (about 1 large), peeled and cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cans tomatoes, un-drained, diced
2 tablespoon tomato paste
2 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 ½ cup milk, low fat or fat free
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
- Coat all the eggplant slices with nonstick cooking spray (both the sides). Arrange these coated slices on an extra large baking sheet in a single layer, leaving enough space between the two. Broil the eggplant slices for 5 to 6 minutes, 4 to 5 inches away from heat.
- Turn the slices once halfway through the broiling process. Remove slices from the broiler when they turn tender and set aside.
For Bean Mixture:
- Lightly coat a large unheated nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat it over medium heat. Add minced garlic and chopped onions to the hot skillet and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until just tender, stir frequently.
- Add white kidney beans, tomato paste, un-drained tomatoes, ground black pepper and ground cinnamon to the onion mixture. Bring the contents to the boil. After it boils, reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer over low heat, uncovered for about 10 to 15 minutes or until it is slightly thickened, stir occasionally.
For White Sauce:
- Melt the butter over medium to low heat in a medium, thick bottomed saucepan. Stir in all purpose flour and salt in the butter, mix well. Reduce heat and add milk all at once in the pan. Stir constantly and cook the milk mixture over medium heat until it is thick and bubbly. Remove pan from heat, add nutmeg and mix well.
- Lightly coat a rectangular baking dish (3 quart) with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange half of the broiled eggplant slices in the prepared dish. Spread bean mixture over eggplant slices and top the bean mixture with the remaining broiled slices. Pour the thick white sauce carefully over the eggplant slice layer in such a way that it spreads evenly and covers all the slices. Combine dry bread crumbs and oil in a medium bowl and sprinkle this mixture over the white sauce in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the eggplant layer is heated through and the bread crumbs are golden brown in color. Remove the dish from oven and serve in 8 different serving platters. This recipe makes 8 servings.
White bean moussaka recipe provides 245 calories, 6 gm total fat, 38 gm carbohydrates, 9 gm dietary fiber and 9 gm proteins per serving.