How To Make Tortillas For Supper?
Whole Wheat Tortilla Ingredients:
3 tortillas, 8 inch diameter
4 ounces deli-style roast beef
4 ounce chive cream cheese, low fat or light
3 ½ ounce red sweet pepper, roasted
1 tablespoon mayonnaise based dressing, low fat
18 medium sized fresh basil pieces
- Spread each tortilla flat on a flat surface. Apply one third of low fat cream cheese over each tortilla. Leaving one inch border cover this cheese layer with basil leaves. Over the basil leaves, arrange roasted bell peppers and top with sliced meat. Lastly divide the mayonnaise dressing among the three tortillas and spread evenly over the meat.
- Spirally roll each tortilla lightly and cut into two equal halves with a sharp knife. Cut the tortilla crosswise preferably so as the layers can be seen. Pierce one toothpick in the middle of all the tortilla wraps to keep each layer in place. Wrap each piece in a plastic wrap and place on a dish. Chill the tortilla wraps in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. Take an insulated cooler with ice packs and tote. Serve. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- Instead of using refined, white flour frozen tortillas prepare fresh tortillas at home from whole grain flour. The refining process of whole grains to derive white flour strips almost 50% of all the essential nutrients from the grains. Moreover the fiber and B-complex vitamins which are abundant in the whole grains, refined products are lacking in it. Fiber is an important nutrient and provides numerous health benefits.
- This is a low calorie recipe that provides about 135 calories and 6 gm fat per serving. The calories and fat values may increase if you choose whole fat mayonnaise dressing or full fat cheese instead of low fat or fat free products.
- The beef that you select for this recipe should be preferably lean beef as red beef is not only loaded with calories but also loaded with saturated fats and cholesterol. Although red beef and lean beef will provide same amount of proteins and other micronutrients, red beef is high in fats and thus calories. This recipe provides about 8 gm protein per serving.
- This is a quick, diabetes friendly and easy recipe that can be prepared in less than 20 minutes, besides the chilling time of 4 hours. So according to the time of the day you plan to serve this recipe you may preplan and prepare touchdown tortilla wraps in advance and leave in the refrigerator for chilling purpose.