Garnished Tomato Roses And Chilli Flower
Ingredients: Ripe medium sized tomatoes, fresh green or red chillies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Tomato roses can be used as a garnish for almost any cold meat, fish, egg or even vegetable dishes. Select a few medium-sized, firm and ripe tomatoes. Take a sharp knife and begin slicing in a continuous paper thin strip. Start at the non- stalk end of the tomato and make sure that the strips are about half an inch or about one and a half centimetres wide. A small sharp paring knife would be the best to use and try to cut in a circular fashion around the tomato so that the spiral can be produced with ease. Now take hold of the stem end of the tomato so as to form the center of the rose. Carefully and gently wind the tomato around the stem portion by turning it inside out. Once you have completely wound it, shape the skin into a rose and make the petals open out from the base. You can add a couple of curry, mint or bay leaves for a finishing touch.
- For the chilli flower, take small green or fresh red chillies and if you cannot find small ones, you may have to trim the edges of the larger ones. Remember to retain the stem end untouched though. Rinse it thoroughly in cold or chilled water and remove all the seeds. Take a small pair of scissors and cut carefully around the chilli to form petals. Do not cut all the way to the stem though. Drop it into a bowl of cold water and put it into the refrigerator until it opens up.
- Although the purpose of this is primarily as a garnish to the main dish, these tomatoes can also be eaten for a variety of health benefits.
Tomato Health Benefits:
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, iron, calcium, phosphorous, potassium and protein. Tomatoes contain what is known as lycopene, which is an excellent antioxidant that fights against cancerous cell formation according to recent studies. It functions as a blood purifier and can improve the texture and colour of the skin. The vitamin K content in it helps prevent haemorrhages to some extent and it dissolves gallstones while protecting the liver from congestion.
- Chillies are anti-inflammatory agents help with conditions such as arthritis and rheumatism. It helps with nasal congestion and issues such as sinusitis and recent studies prove that it is beneficial to prevent some kinds of cancer.