Basil Recipes With Chevre Spread And Basil Sauce
Basil Recipe Ingredients:
Water to boil
2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes (don’t use oil packed ones)
½ cup fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
8 ounce softened cream cheese, reduced fat
8 ounce soft goat cheese
2 tablespoon milk, low fat or fat free
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Boil water in a sauce pan and cover the dried tomatoes with the boiling water in a medium bowl. Let the tomatoes stand in the water for about 10 minutes. Drain tomatoes and discard the water. Snip the tomatoes fine.
- Stir in snipped tomatoes with soft cream cheese, basil, goat cheese, minced garlic, and freshly ground black pepper.
- To get a spreading consistency mixture, stir in 2 tablespoons fat free milk. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours or up to 3 to 4 hours. Serve with whole cereal crackers or whole miniature toasts. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- Tomato and basil chevre spread is a low calorie, diabetes friendly spread that provides about 66 calories and 5 gm total fat per serving.
- As this recipe is also low in sodium, cholesterol and saturated fats (125 mg, 14 mg and 3 gm respectively) it can be enjoyed by people on sodium restricted and cholesterol restricted diets.
- Tomato and basil chevre spread provides only 2 gm carbohydrates and 4 gm proteins per serving. Thus this spread can be easily enjoyed by people on low carbohydrate as well as low fat or weight loss diet.
- Variation for this recipe: You can make ribbon sandwich or rainbow sandwich by filling this mixture in between bread slices. For this add grated carrots, finely chopped red or yellow or green bell peppers and finely shredded red or purple cabbage in the spread in small amounts just to give a rainbow effect to the spread. To prevent the spread to become thin you can grate the carrots, cabbage and capsicum 30 minutes before adding it to the spread. Just before you intend to combine the vegetables in the spread squeeze away all the precipitated water from the vegetables and discard it. Mix the vegetables with the spread and apply in between two whole cereal bread slices. Cover the slices with a plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours before serving.